Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning styles

Do you find that some of your students are a blend of learning styles rather instead of just one style? By using a varity of presentation styles it will help you to tune into what the best 1st and 2nd choise style that works for each student.

I strongly agree, each student has a different style of teaching and as an instructor sometimes is hard to find what type fits your class better, but I think if we dig hard into the students and try to communicate instead of trying to force a specific style we will have a better success

It's important not to try to find a specific style of teaching that fits your class.(unless they all have the same learning style which is usually unlikely!) So the trick is to vary your teaching style - mix it up. That way you will be addressing the learning styles of all your students at least some of the time.

Communication is BIG. Many times students can be made to feel uncomfortable with something that works well for another, so now you lose a student by engaging another. This is where visual clues are important which is a form of communication. It can at times be a hard juggling act to appeal to them all. The more we communicate with them the better we become at it.

At my school we do a learning style activity with the students I think this is great but too many students use it in a negative way. They will tell me that (for example)” I only learn by doing hands on.” I agree we all have a preferred way that we like to learn, but we have to learn with every style. In the real world of Automotives your boss could care less how you learn. You either can do the job or not.
I agree that as an Instructor we need to give information in many styles so the students can achieve success.

I teach at a trade school that when the students first enter they are given a questionaire/test to determine their learning style.

Sign In to comment