Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Importance of Knowing about adults learning styles

It is amazing to see how diverse our adult studnet population can be. It amazes me to see how different flows of ideas take place when students are working in teams. It is of extreme importance that adult educators are wel informed of this matter so that activities are planned accordingly to meet the needs of our adult population.

Having classes that range from 18 to 45. I have noticed that the older the students the more diverse the class I have.

Do you think leaning styles change as we get older or do we just adapt.

Interesting question! Studies have shown that indeed, learning styles do change with age, mostly due to physical changes associated with aging. Here's two studies on the topic.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/547418_3
http://www.computing.dundee.ac.uk/projects/kit/British_HCI_2005/graf.doc

I don't think they change so much as they broaden. I have always been visual and retain more by pictures, graphs, etc. I have found that throughout the years I have learned to enjoy some of the other methods to a degree but I will always come back to my visual learning. If there is a good speaker and I'm enjoying the presentation, and if I can focus in on what he/she is talking about, I can learn quite well in the auditory mode. Otherwise, I can't keep my mind focused to someone reading, or listening to tapes, etc. I am also one of those people that I'm limited in my ability to focus for more than 30-40 minutes when someone is talking no matter how hard I try to adapt. If there is a handout, I will soon start reading that or looking for pictures just to sit still. I love learning and have grown to appreciate the other learning styles depending how it is presented and for how long, otherwise I am back to my visual mode just to keep focused.

Thank you, Susan, for posting those links!

Victoria

You're quite welcome Victoria! I hope that you have found the class helpful.
Susan

I know by experience that my learning style adapted to what was being taught and to the teacher.

Whether this was changing, broadening, or some something else, who knows. I did adapt.

I realize I however, that some students may not be able to adapt as easily.

Sign In to comment