Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adult Learner Attention Spans

When you are having a really good teaching point, you have to be aware of students becoming saturated with material or just plain loosing their interest. Sometimes when you are in the moment of teaching and moving along in a topic you are so comfortable with, it is hard to redirect yourself back to student attention spans.
I constantly work on this.

I find that Class participation and creating an atmosphere where questions are invited, invoke a spirited performance. For instructor and learner alike.

Sherri,
This is an ongoing challenge for most instructors. Thank you for making this point because it is something we need to be reminded of on a regular basis as we deliver our content.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Kevin,
When you have a great Q&A session you feel great at the end of the class because you know learning has occurred and students have been engaged. This is what keeps you coming back to the classroom day after day.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree. I like for my students to feel comfortable sharing information and questions during class to create a more interactive experience. I think that the mini-lecture that is described in the course will be very helpful as well.

I also agree that the mini lecture is the way to go. I find that most students definitely start losing interest after a set time.

HOWARD,
Yes, they do. They like change of pace and variety in their instructional delivery so the more you can provide both the better. Good strategy that you are following with your instruction.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I also agree with class room invollment for me it takes the place of mini lectures and keeps the students interested in the subject of the day

The adult learner can be challenge, I think that dialogue is important form the very beginning of class to have that interaction between student and teacher and also a supportive, comfortable environment in the class room facilitates learning. The lectures that are given should be no more that 15 to 20 minutes
Adults need to engaged in the material to retain it, presentations should be punctuated with periodic activities followed by didactic presentation

Stanley,
Right you are because adult learners bring so many diverse life experiences to class and they want to be able to use those experiences as students. So by having discussions and other such activities distributed through each class session they will be able to contribute and grow in their confidence as learners.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment