Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Enthusiasm is under rated?

I think there are few replacements for enthusiasm as a teacher. If you are bored, the students will probably be bored as well. Now, I teach math so I am challenged with bored students daily, especially the poor content that most of math teachers are FORCED to teach. Over 13 years most students have said that they appreciate the fact that I was enthusiastic and cared about what I taught. What do you think? Can a mild tempered, soft spoken, calm, unenthusiastic teacher truly get the message across?

Scott

Scott,
I like to see passion for one's field and enthusiasm for teaching about it in teachers. I think you have to bring both to the classroom or lab every time you teach. Without excitement I think it would be very hard to get your message across.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I don't think a mil tempered, soft spoken, unenthusiastic teacher can truly get the message across but enthusiasm can come in many forms.

I've had plenty of professors who were pretty soft spoken but it was clear that they cared about the students and what they were teaching. Their enthusiasm mostly came across through their willingness to work with students outside of class time. They also never acted annoyed when students asked legitimate questions about the class or the field that was being studied.

Justin,
Passion for one's field and enthusiasm for teaching it goes a long way in engaging students. This is why you remember your professors from college. They had an impact on your life and your learning. This is what we all can hope for with our own teaching.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If we as instructors are not excited about teaching, how could the student possible be excited about learning?

Jane,
Right you are. We need to bring passion for our field to the class along with our enthusiasm for teaching it. This will help to "sell" the course content to our students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have been on the side of being a student to an instructor that was not passionate or excited about what they were teaching and I was discouraging. If the person who is teaching you doesn't even enjoy the subject how are you suppossed to get excited about it?

Briana,
I have had the same experience with some of my previous instructors. They made the class session very long because they didn't care and they were so boring. By bringing passion for your field and enthusiasm for teaching about it you will engage your students and excitement will be generated.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like to use my personal experiences to bring enthusiam to class. One of the stories I told was how a client expressed immense gratitude just because he was offered a glass of water while waiting. It made the students realize how little things can make a world of difference. Off course moments like this would energize their interest in the course.

Chukwuka,
I agree with how much impact a story from the field can have on student motivation. Your example of the glass of water is a powerful one since it shows that the human factor is critical in career success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think they can get the message across, but it won't be nearly as fun for the student!

I would agree 100%, along with passion the students can relate with you and have a common intrest in the subject matter. This is very effective in keeping them engaged.

Judd,
Passion for the field and enthusiasm for teaching about it is essential for student engagement. Good point, thanks for making it.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

a teacher without passion or enthusiasm does not belong in the classroom and I'm certain the end of term student evaluations will reflect this!!!

Barbara,
Right you are. We need to bring both to our classes each time they meet.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment