Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

4 hour lectures

What do recommend when teaching a 4 hr lecture? Mini lectures the best--really stopping every 15-20 minutes for a break?

Darla,
Do a mini-lecture and then a different activity. It doesn't have to be a break it can be a Q&A session, case study, discussion, etc.. Anything that lets the students refocus for a few minutes before you go back to the lecture format.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am a new instructor but I have found what works for me is when I see that I am losing some of the students I will veer off course, tell some of my field experiences and then once I have them back I can roll right back into the lesson. seems to work so far.

Harlan,
Stories from the field do capture the attention of students as you mention. In addition, they reinforce the value of the content being taught because you are showing your students application and relevancy when you share an experience from your past.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

We use nearly four-hour blocks at my school and the classes can easily wear out the students, particularly at the end of the block (six-week).

What helps me keep the students motivated and interested in the subject matter is to engage them in in-class activities, either individually or in small groups, so that the class is constantly doing something other than sitting at long tables and listening to me or looking at my PP presentation.

Because I am blessed with culinary students who have figured out that my subject (Public Speaking) will be critical to their success in the industry, they are receptive to ANYTHING that will enhance their ability to assume the leadership role that I confirm every day is their reasonable expectation IF they combine their soft skills with their culinary/baking skills. But I have to "sell" that concept EVERY DAY to make it clear that leadership positions will not be theirs if they do not speak articulately and have the presentation skills and the personality to reinforce their value to potential employers. After the first week or two, they "get it" and their receptivity to my varied presentation strategies continues to climb.

Bottom Line: four-hour class sessions are a challenge, but the reward for successful classroom performance is great.

Russell,
Thank you for your last sentence because it reflects on your dedication and enthusiasm for your subject area. Teaching a course that many students consider to be out of their field requires some selling just as you indicate. The key is how you sell it and it is easy to see that you are. Your culinary arts students see that good communication is something that is going to be a part of their success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The classes I instruct are four hours as well. I like to do lectures for about 15 minutes and then discuss what we have read and let the students take some time to absorb what we have covered. We take breaks every hour for ten minutes to let the students stretch their legs and recharge their brains. If we are doing activities I like to lecture first then do an activity and then lecture again and do another activity. I think that knowing they have a hands on activity keeps them engaged and focused because they know they will be doing something active shortly.

May-Lin,
I teach a 6 hour block so I can really appreciate your instructional delivery strategy for your longer class. It is a challenge to keep students engaged for that long of time. You have good variety and change of pace incorporated into your classes and I am sure that these methods really make a difference in the learning of your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I always tell my students real life experience working in the medical field as it relates to what I am lecturing on for that day. They love it and really pay attention.

I try to break up my lectures with video presentations. A different face and voice is great for breaking up the monotony of listening to the same instructor for an extended time.

Angela,
Stories from the field help to make the content come alive for the students and gives relevance to why they are taking the course. The more sharing like the the more connections are made to the field they are preparing to enter.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Joseph,
Students like to have change of pace and variety in their classes and you are offering both with your approach. This is how you are going to keep them engaged and retaining what you are offering them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

My classes extend from 8 am to 2 pm with an hr lunch break. We take breaks approx. every hr or whenever I feel that I am losing their attention. During the hr of lecture, I will present information,but I try to give a personal example related to the content to try to break up the monotony of just hearing me "lecture". I additionally will spend a few minutes reviewing the content that I just explained to ensure understanding before moving on to the next topic...typically about every 20 minutes.

Michele,
You have a very good balance going in terms of your instructional delivery. Students like change of pace and variety and you are providing both with this approach.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I've found this to be true as well in my current three hour class. Breaking things up regularly by changing the topic keeps things interesting. After a few rounds of different lecture / discussion content, I will usually stop and tie-in things we've just covered with a real-world example. It's amazing how all eyes move to the front (if they weren't there already) when I do this.

Daniel,
Good way to offer variety and change of pace with your instructional delivery. This as you say is what keeps them engaged and focused on what is being taught as well as learned.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment