Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

long lectures

nothing worse than a teacher that only lectures

Yes. In fact, I've heard that lecturing is the LEAST effective method of teaching.

Hi Sandra,
You got that right. Students need variety in the instructional delivery process.
Gary

I had an instructor who ONLY lectured. I wouldn't do that to any student.

Hi Darlisa,
I call a class like this the "Temple of Doom" where students don't want to go due to the boredom factor.
Gary

long lectures can be boring, you have to get the students involved. Give examples and do demostration to keep them woke.

When my class has a very long chapter to cover, I will assign different subjects to students either individually or in groups. Their job is to make a presentation, activity, and quiz for their subject. It shakes things up bit and gives a good break for a different teaching/learning approach.

Break the lecture into 10 or 15 minute periods. WHen you find yourself droning on and on, stop, and have the students engage in something physical (stretching, short break,etc.

I think an instructor should develop creative ways to deliver material. I am a student and I hate lectures, I think students become more engaged if they are part of the delivery method.

I agree. Students lose interest quickly if all we are doing is lecturing. 10 minutes is usually a good time to lecture, then stop and discuss, also ask if any one wants to comment or add on to what was lectured. Keep the students involved.

I agree BORING!!!!

Sign In to comment