Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lecture length

I find that short lecture session interspersed with hands on activities tend to keep students attentions on the lesson.

I agree with you. I hate to avoid lecture altogether. At the same time, I would not want to lecture during the entire class time. A short lecture coupled with some class activities is a good approach.

I teach technical content and the subject can be overwhelming for students. I like the suggestion of mini-lectures.

I totally agree. Some lecture is required each class session, however mixing it up with hands-on activities, movies, group discussions, etc. keeps everyone interested. Also, this variety also addresses many learning styles, not just one. So if a student is not an auditory learner, he/she can maybe understand the material better by an activity or movie.

Yes, break it up with hands-on, video/DVD, small group discussion. I don't like to lecture for a great length of time, I know the students don't like it either. Even a 5 minute stretch/hydrate break helps their learning capacity.

Sign In to comment