Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Breaks in the class

I'm teaching a three hour class twice a week. What is the recommended time to take breaks? I have gotten so into presenting things that when I look at the clock, I've been going for two hours. Although the students seem to be right with me, I'm not sure as to what the best approach would be. Is there a standard rule of thumb here?
Thanks

Hi Joe,
I commend you for being able to hold your students' attention for a couple of hours. The average student is able to stay fixed for about 5 minutes without drifting off. This is why it is good to move around the class so when the students shift their eyes to you they are in fact refocusing their thoughts. Adults can keep their attention focused for about 15 minutes before they need an activity. So a mini-lecture and then an activity is a good way to keep students engaged. As for breaks there is no set time. I to teach classes in 3 hour blocks and I break every 50 minutes approximately. This all depends on what I am doing in terms of class activities. Some class nights lend themselves to going a bit longer and others I have to break at 30-35 minutes. I just read the body language and the eyes of my students.
Gary

I agree, sometimes we get so involed in the class assignment that we forget about the time and before I know it, it is time to dismiss class. But then again I some classes that if I forget to give a break the students will remind me that they need a break. I think it really depends on the students and how well you are prepared. Shirley Cross

Hi Joe,
I am in agreement with Dr. Gary Meers, and I do the same politics as him about the breaks in the class.

I find that at any age, people generally like structure. I teach a 3-hour class and we take a break at half time, without fail. Students seem to be more ready to attack the second half of the class with a fresh attidude.

I agree with having breaks. So many times I have tendency to keep going with demonstrations, because I am unable to stop because of the nature of the content. I have found though, without the breaks I loose the attention of the class. It definitely gives me an insight that I might have to restructure the demonstrations to keep the focus of the class.

Hi Joe, I have the same problem I get so into what I'm teachig that I forget to take a break,so when I see them start moving, and fidgiting around I know it's time for a break.

I agree. As a rule of thumb, I try to give my class a break every hour. If we are really into something, I try to keep it flexable. If they want to keep going, I usually go along with it.

At my school, our classes are 4 1/2 hours long. Each hour, the students get a 10 minute break. There have been times when depending on the subject we are covering, we will push right thru the scheduled break time just so we can cover the concept entirely. I really look to my students to judge when they need a break. Even with a class of 4 or 5, you can feel when you've started to lose their attention.

First and foremost, I always follow local and federal laws, but I find that a simple "state change" keeps my students with me. This often is perceived as a break by the students.

Hi Rob,
Could you expand on what "state change" means in your teaching? This is a term I'm not familiar with used. Are those state law changes in relation safety or technical issues related to a field?
Gary

I would give two 15 minute breaks!

We have one 10 min. break in the morning and a half hour for lunch in a 6 hour day, is this good..some students think they should have a longer lunch.

I agree that there is no set time for breaks. However, when lecturing I will not go longer than an hour with a five minute break. If I feel I am loosing the classes attention I have been known to take field trips around campus to find and show something relevant to the lecture. Often I will backup my lecture with a demonstration.

Hi Bernie,
You hit upon a good point about being aware of what is going on with your students. The key is to "read" your students and respond to their needs. As you mentioned if they are starting to wear down then it is time to get them moving or do an activity. This allows them to refocus their minds and then they will be ready to receive more content.
Gary

Break as needed, when a student needs to go they go. I lose too much momentum when I use sheduled breaks

Hi James,
I use the same thinking as you do with breaks. I believe instructors need to be sensitive to the needs of students and give breaks as needed. I find scheduled breaks give students a "heads up" so they start watching the clock as time moves closer to the break time so I in fact lose 5 or so minutes before the break as well as the break time.
Also, I can finish the demonstration, lecture point or discussion and then take a break rather than having to stop mid-sentence since it is break time.
The other side is to make sure to give breaks and not just bulldoze through, you will lose student there as well.
Gary

Dr. Meers,

Thank you for your feedback. I think that it all depends greatly on the class, as I am teaching a cooking class it has a different need for flow as opposed to some academic classes which a scheduled break could be very effective, although I see your concerns with the clock watching.
I again thank you for your feedback and hope for a continued correspondence with other issues.
Culinary Regards,
James Fraser, CEC

Hi James,
You make a good point about the kind of class that is being taught. This is the "it all depends" part of teaching. Instructors have to be sensitive to the eb and flow of the class and plan breaks and activities around the needs of the students in relation to demands of the course.
Gary

During the course of our 4.5 hr lecture time we schedule a 10 min break 1.5 hrs in and a 20 min break in the next 1.5 hr and it seems to work effectively. And occasionaly just to stop and have everyone stretch their legs can help when needed.

Sign In to comment