Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Test objectives vs. Real World Objectives

The computer courses I teach propose certain objectives that are important and reasonable; nevertheless, sometimes I feel that because emerging trends and new technologies, I add extra information that does not necessarily show up on the textbook, nor will it be part of a standardized certifications exam. Students welcome this information yet many times they realize that there is an overwhelming amount of new things they have to keep up with...
How can I go about having the students learn certain material for an exam, and certain material to become familiar with for Real world objectives?

Hi Carlos,
When I have been faced with this situation I use examples and case studies to illustrate "real world" procedures vs theory. I show the students the content and strategies for learning the required information to pass national/state certification exams and then take them through examples of real world applications and operating methods. This way I am turning out students that can be certified as well as function in the work setting.
Gary

Hey Carlos,
I also teach computer courses and have to deal with real world vs some Vendors random decisions on what they think is important in industry. At our school we always stress the real world more, because the IT industry has a large amount of test prep materials that students can use for that side of it, but real world is difficult to learn in a classroom, let along a textbook. I just make sure my lesson plan covers most of the items from the certs, because usually the vendor is good at emphasizing new features on their exams, which a lot of students are also interested in as well.

Jeff

I teach computer classes as well and this was great information thank you.

Hi Charlotte,
Good to hear that you found the course contents helpful.
Good luck with your teaching efforts.
Gary

This is an ongoing battle in the auto curriculum I teach. NATEF, the governing body who develops the standard for auto technology training, is directly linked with ASE, who are the national testing standard for automotive technicians. I find wrong information in the NATEF regulated texts, which I can prove in lab case studies. But the curriculum writers refuse to change or update," because they've been doing this for 30 years", and know better than I. Also the newest technology is never written into any auto curriculum, there's always about a 3 year delay. So I always announce" this info is what you need to know to get through my class and pass ASE tests the rest of your life...and here's what's going on in real life". It's kind of lame, but the best I can do to prep them to work in the real world.

Hi Joseph,
I can appreciate your situation with time lag. A number of fields have this problem and it takes instructors like you to teach the most current content while using the most existing texts and technology.
Thanks for sharing strategies for overcoming this common problem.
Gary

I find the same issue with the courses that I teach. I think the goal is to teach them what they need to know to be successful in the field, but also make sure they really understand the theory behind the subject matter so they can pass the tests, without being spoon-fed.

Many tests are written so that students regurgetate facts, not understand the theory that has just been presented. Comprehension should be reinforced over and over.

Hi Michele,
I agree totally about how we should evaluate our students. Career college students are being prepared to enter a field in which they will be successful by using both their knowledge and skills. We need to evaluate them within these domains. Also, many of our students have to pass state and national boards which may have skill components contained within the test. They have to be prepared to pass these as well.
Alternative evaluation methods need to be developed and used for these types of situations.
Gary

Sign In to comment