Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teach without PowerPoint!

I am unable to use the power-point or overhead projector because it brings on migraines. I have had to find different ways to deliver lesson plans. It seems to work for me, but sometimes I do envy those of you who can use them. I have tried just recently to use the power-point but my students informed me they were unhappy with the way the lecture turned out. I had to redo the lecture the old fashioned way. I do a lot of writing on the white board, and I even try to draw. If anyone has any suggestions regarding the power-point, please let me know. I am always willing to try new things.

Hi Melody,
This is a new situation for me. I haven't heard of the problem before but I can really appreciate your situation.
You mentioned your use of other forms of delivery, such as the whiteboard so you are still using different communication formats. Not using the PP presentation format is not a problem if you have a comprehensive set of other deliveries that you are using. Many instructors use PP presentations to the point they are not effective. Bland slides with excessive narrative are not effective. Many textbook publishers include at the back of their texts a CD of PP's, and even though they are professionally done, they can bog students down. If you tailor your lectures to your students (and I can see that you do) you can support your efforts with role playing, whiteboard notes, group activities, etc. The key is communication of content. Are the students getting it? Also, as you know variety is very important in learning. By doing different things in your classroom you are offering your students different ways of gaining the required knowledge and skills.
Gary

I have yet to see a PowerPoint lecture that is truely engaging. The format always seems to be lifeless and dry and usually breaks down into the presenter reading what the audience could be reading on their own. If PowerPoint is to be used I feel it best considered a large notecard from which the speaker expands so as to provide his presentation with the spontanaity that will make it engaging and meaningful.

Hi Warren,
Good point about PowerPoint. As you look at past forms of media that have been introduced (overhead projector) they get over used and abused until instructors find clear uses for them in their delivery format. This is true with PP. There are some really great PP presentations out there but they take a lot of preparation and effort to get ready. Most end up being a white slide with excessive narrative which translates boring. PP should be used in such fashion that it supports instructional efforts not distract from them.
Gary

I use power point as just one more tool to communicate with the student. An expanded discussion of a slide which usually includes supplemental photos or drawings along with linked video for some demonstrative points seems to work well with additional text and print-outs of the power point itself.

Hi Christine,
You have made clear your understanding of what PowerPoint is, a tool. It is not an instructional replacement. PP is only as good as the content of the slides. All of us educators have seen the use and abuse of PP and we have to make professional judgements about when and how to use it.
Gary

Powerpoint is a visual that this generation of students enjoy. I find that PPT is useful as a tool of helping me in my lectures. It breaks up the flow of the classroom. Students enjoy the graphics, sounds and other things that you can do with the PPT. Perhaps you should give it another try and remember to not overload a slide with too much information.

Hi LaDonna,
You make a good point. PP presentations are another media form that can be used to illustrate classes. They should not be too often or the sole source of presentation, that way they won't become boring to the students. They like everything else must be a part of a variety of presentation forms used by creative instructors.
Gary

PP is just a tool. Personally I like to get up and do things on the white board in front of the students. They tend to stay more engaged because I will give them more detailed information, sometimes with humor. The PP does have it's uses. It's a great tool if you have never thought that class before and helps me stay on point. But once I have spent time with that curriculum I find I use the PP less and less. It's more work for the instructor but the class results in the end are worth it.

I agree that powerpoints can a useful tool, but we must always remember that it is just a tool. Relying exclusively upon Powerpoint presentations can make the class pretty dull. By using the Powerpoints as a benchmark or reference point, it can organize my thoughts and keep me on target for the class while adding my style and personality so that the learning process is fun.

Hi Doreen,
Right you are about the PP presentations. They are only tools. Instructors have to do other planning and development in order to keep the classes interesting and the students challenged. Plus, this is the creative part of teaching and keeps you from becoming bored with teaching the same class over and over.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

I believe you are on the right track for your situation. In fact I try to use the power point presentation more as a review of the material that was covered other ways such as writing on the white board powerpoint not displayed, flip charts, group discussion methods, games that contain the info needed for not only the class but stuff that will help them succeed as a professional in the field.

I tell my students that I rarely use the PowerPoint presentations. I, too, write a lot on the board and wish I had four walls of white boards. I will normally use the PowerPoint for in-depth diagrams that may not be in the textbook or student guide.

I like to lecture first then use the power point to back up the lecture

You may want to consider using PowerPoint in small doses. It is a great instructional tool. Depending on your subject, your slides could primarily have images, short videos or a few statistics that support your lecture content. You can black out the PowerPoint intermittantly when you want to draw on the board then return to it start the next mini-lecture.

Hi Rich,
Good point. PowerPoint is only one teaching tool. Some instructors just through the slides up and then read from them. This is not the way to use PP. With proper sequence and flow PP is a very effective tool that contributes to enhanced learning and student engagement. Without the proper sequence and flow PP is a slow march to madness.
Gary

Sign In to comment