Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teach without PowerPoint!

I am unable to use the power-point or overhead projector because it brings on migraines. I have had to find different ways to deliver lesson plans. It seems to work for me, but sometimes I do envy those of you who can use them. I have tried just recently to use the power-point but my students informed me they were unhappy with the way the lecture turned out. I had to redo the lecture the old fashioned way. I do a lot of writing on the white board, and I even try to draw. The old saying "if its not broke, don't fix it". If anyone has any suggestions regarding the power-point, please let me know. I am always willing to try new things.

I like to use the powerpoint but sometimes there isn't enough to go around, so I make copies of the powerpoint and hand them out to the students and they seem to like it just as well or better because then they have it to take with them. Shirley Cross

I really enjoy the powerpoint. I feel you can get alot more information in to a class period having everything laid out for them in a pp.

Hi Nolan,
The key to all delivery in the classroom is variety. The PP is one of those variety options. Keeping looking for diverse ways of delivering course content and you will keep your students engaged in the learning process.
Gary

Unfortunately, the main delivery method at our school is the power-point. Every lesson in every class is on it. It must be used and boy is it hard not to "Pour and Snore" your students.

Yes I agree, powerpoints can be taken too far. And to address diagrams, sometimes there are not enough space on the slides to have both a detailed figure and text. Switching back and forth between slides does not make easy referencing of both content. Overheads, dry erase drawings and handouts all help.

We are suppose to follow powerpoint at this school. I find it much easier to teach the lesson before I turn it on. This is my opportunity to shine. I get to be "comic" for an hour or so. I focus on the main points of the lesson plan and give them many ways of remembering ( drawings, sayings, jokes, personal exp., ect..). I then turn the power point on and cruise through it. I let the power point enforce what I have already taught them.

Hi Vincent,
You are using the PP as a tool that fits your teaching situation and style. That is the key thing to remember, PP is only a tool just as with any other tool, it is only as good as the master that uses it.
Gary

Sign In to comment