Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I teach various technical subjects, so PowerPoint is a necessary evil, if one wishes to call it that. It is so easy to just stand and read what's on the slide but that isn't teaching. I find that as I become more familiar with the presentation and course flow, I use the PowerPoint less. My lectures now feel more extemporaneous and fluid. The PowerPoint is used only as a means to reinforce what has already been presented. Much of the PowerPoint presentations are now used for review rather than primary instruction.

Hi Paul,
You make a very good point about PP. When it first became available it was viewed by many as the replacement for instruction. Show it was all that was necessary for the students to "get" the material. Fortunately, as teachers became aware of the uses of PP and the pitfalls the use has gotten much better. The teacher is integral to the learning process and that point can never be forgotten. You have a very clear picture of how PP can be used in your teaching setting. I wish you much success in your instruction.
Gary

I like power point. The way I use it, I use it as a guide line of the topic I am lecturing on. I glance at the slide that is up and then lecture from that point. I do not read the slide. The slide up on the screen is good to help the students stay focused and follow along with notes.

Hi Gregory,
Power point, I also like it. But using it for the entire course sometimes makes the students lose the concentration.I feel we have to change the method of delivery in between.

Some methods I have use with success to keep my students engaged in a PowerPoint include:

Embedding video clips that relate to content, even if only as a metaphor (ie. including a clip from the film The Shining to talk about writer's block).

Embedding links to relevant websites, particularly those that include audio/visual (ie. link to a Grammar Girl podcast).

Including plenty of visuals like cartoons, graphic organizers, etc.

Over-use of text-only slides is the death of students engagement. PowerPoint has come a long way since its inception, and much can be done with it to "jazz it up."

Hi Kimberly,
Good points about using PP. We have had a number of different technologies come along that were the latest and greatest, blackboard, whiteboard, overhead projector and now PP. Each one of these was and is valuable if used in a interesting way. The key is to do what you are doing and embedding visual/auditory and colorful ways to attract and hold the attention of students.
Gary

I don’t agree that PowerPoint lectures are over used. When I preset a PowerPoint lecture, I always give the students a copy of the lecture that has fill in the blanks spots so that the students keep their attention. It all falls back on the old teaching styles. See, hear touch and do.

Sign In to comment