Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tree Diagram

For lecture notes, I have always worked from an outline. Unfortunately, I am also a stickler for form and have always tried to make the lecture content fit into an outline form. By this I mean that there should be at least two points for every heading or subheading to be considered good form for an outline.

I have found Information just doesn't always fall in an outline form to be easily presented. I am anxious to rewrite some notes in the tree diagram form. I think it will provide the flexibility I was never able to find in my rigid outlines. Actually, I'm just disappointed I didn't think of this idea earlier myself but rather read about this idea in this course!

I have always been a fan on outlining everything. Of course, like you said information does not always fall into the outling format. As I was reading about the tree diagram I could visualize my outlines turning into diagrams. Especially with my subject matter I think I will be more effective in planning and delivery.

Hi Alice,
Glad that you were able to get some helpful information from the course section. It is like the old question--"How do you eat an elephant?" Answer-"One bite at a time." That is what teaching is all about, creating small bite size chunks of information that the students can get a hold of and digest.
Gary

I agree wholeheartedly.
I like the analogy you used also "Eat an elephant one bite at a time" :)

I am going to try the tree diagram as well. I draw arrows and circle, check things off as I cover them. However, I am going to start a new lecture Wednesday and use the tree diagram method.

Hi Yolanda,
Glad we were able to share some additional information that will be of help to you in your professional development. Let me know how the tree diagram works out for you.
Gary

Yolanda
I have done the same thing. Check off as things are covered. I plan to use the tree diagram as well with my next module.

Yolanda
I have done the same thing. Check off as things are covered. I plan to use the tree diagram as well with my next module.

Hi!
I'm a pretty new teacher and have relied on powerpoint quite a bit. I did do the presentaions though, so at least they were interesting and showed a lot of stuff i wanted my students to see.
But i do like the idea presented of a sort of story board, with outline on left side, and activities or projects on other side.
I can picture a sort of boardgame layout with perhaps different paths that can be followed. I hope i find the time to try out something like that. I suppose though one must have a lot of physical type materials set aside to be usefull with different options that might be followed, as well as to help keep student attention.
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
You are on the right track with your instructional planning. As you do your planning just keep in mind what materials you might be able to use to illustrate your points. You will be surprised how quickly you will collect a host of physical materials that will help you with your teaching. To help you along, start with just one instructional unit and try and develop it completely. The next phase add another one and before long you will have what you need.
Gary

Sign In to comment