Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Picking the brains

I find it very powerful to ask the students to solve potential problems as opposed to give a boring lecture...comments?

Hi Cedrick,
Good approach. Students like to feel engaged and having case studies, problems and activities is a way to do this.
Gary

You are correct, it is amazing how the room will come alive when you ask the question "what if...", minds begin to evaluate and solutions come forth.

I am lucky because I get to do the labs for ced's class. After they ask those "what if" questions I get to help them try out those techniques.

My approach to my students is to ask open-ended questions. By doing this, the opinions and view points start pouring in. There are times in problem solving you have to look at the lighter side of life. I add some humor, and personal experiences I've had in my life - in order to make a point. This will allow the students to feel comfortable with sharing their own experiences.

It indeed is a great way to keep them focused too for long periods of time. I use a similar approach. It starts by asking any one student (student 1) to solve a problem that I have listed on the board. Once that is solved, another student (student 2) from the class is asked to tweak or modify the problem. Once the student 1 at the board solves the problem (with or without the help of the rest of the class), he or she gets to modify the problem further and now it is the turn of student 2 to solve it. I keep the cyle going for a while.

Hi Shiv,
Thanks for sharing this strategy. I know this will give instructors additional tool to use with their students.
Gary

I teach a hands on course, I find that lectures are almost worthless as normally given in my type class. Students just listen and aren't thinking. Most students get more out of doing than listening. I explain what we'll be doing, briefly, then show them and let them do it. Then finish the lecture. It seems to help more when they have a referance point. Works well for me.

Hi Randy,
Sounds like you have found the right formula for your classes and your students. That is the sign of a good instructor, being able to adjust and deliver the kind of instruction that will work for all students.
Gary

This a good approach to engaging students in applying theory to real life. If they can find personal value from the information and where it can be applied, they will own it.

Sign In to comment