Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Styles

Practical examples sometimes spring up a perfect times. I just posted two blank messages after entering the subject "Learning Styles" and hitting the enter key on my keyboard. Through the process of learning by trial and error, I was reminded that I needed to hit the tab key. I promise I'm not making this up:)

Okay, so now onto my post about learning styles. Firstly, I read a couple of other posts in this modulee forum indicating that Module 4 contained the most useful information of the course; I agree. Not so much in terms of "new" information, but in terms of information that works its way out of our consciousness over time.

As related in one of my first posts, I rely primarily on lecture for content delivery, and I learned long ago that to be effective as a lecturer, you must be part orator, academic, comedian, actor, etc. What I have apparently forgotten is that learning styles do vary greatly and that lecture just doesn't cut it for some. I suppose that I have not forgotten this entirely since I still use video resources, power-point presentations and other delivery methods, but rather, I have forgotten why I do so, in terms of structuring content delivery to meet the various learning styles of my students.

This "re-discovered" knowledge has given me the idea that I will have students fill out a short,simple, learning style self-assessment at the beginning of each term. It will read:
I believe that I learn best by:
Hearing
Reading
Watching
Doing
and maybe another choice or two. I will then ask them to rate these in order of greatest ability to learn- 1-4 (or 5 or 6)

I can then balance my delivery methods based on the greatest needs of the class. Thanks for a great idea.

Hi Jackie,
Thank you for the kind words about the information you received through the modules. I would be most interested in hearing how your use of the learning style assessment process works for you. I think you will find that your students will learn more and stay focused for longer periods of time when you are working through their preferred learning avenue.
Gary

I have noticed during my classes that I have to use different methods for every student. Some of my students cannot "focus" during a lecture and I usually have to spend "one on one" time with them so they will understand whatever concept I am going over in class.

Hi Andrea,
What you are doing is customizing instruction based upon the needs of your students. Keep up the good work. I know your students will benefit from your efforts.
Gary

Hi Jackie,

I had the same thought, when going over learning styles. It prompted me to create a questionare, where one of the questions would be: Who was your favority teacher in school?; Why did you like him/her?; Who was your worse teacher?; What did you dislike? or perhaps you could phrase it as: Which teacher do you find you learned from the most?, and Why do you think that?. I find this will give me an idea as to what approach to use with each student on my student profiles. Thoughout each course, I also ask student to evaluate me personally, asking questions like: How do you like my teaching style, what would it take for you to learn better? Since intituting this policy in my classroom, I have vastly improved the quality of learning for each of my students.

Andrés

Sign In to comment