Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creativity in the classroom

After taking this module I was pleasantly surprised that I have made a lesson plan that incorporates a lot of the components needed to have a successful class. I am teaching a meditation course this weekend and I have formed lecture notes to discuss walking meditation and purchased a video that is 30 min. on labyrinths and found a labyrinth at a nearby church for a field trip. I think it is going to be a lot of fun. It certainly covers the basis for the students to have a clear understanding of the components of what is entailed in a laybrinth meditation and the exciting part is they get to participate in Doing!!!

I feel that these ideas help in making an effective presentation. I'm new to career school with 3 hour class periods. Using creative concepts presented in this course will definately help me with my teaching practices. I had know idea the average attention span was so short. A 3 hr lesson must utilize varous techniques to keep the student focused...and hopefully learning will occur.

Sounds excellent! I try to implement creative techniques in my classroom as well, and the students are absolutely more receptive to trying new things.

I teach medical assisting from 7:30 am until 4:00 pm. Sometimes I take the students outside to lecture for a change of scenery, if nothing else. Many days we ad lib check-off competencies. I have to constantly come up with creative ways to enhance the learning environment. My next venture will incorporate a medical cd made the students. It will include their resume, a label and perhaps some video snips if time permits.

I too teach medical assisting and believe whole-heartedly in creative expression.

A regular course outline can sometimes become very monotonous if it is only book work, reading, quizzes and test.

However, if you incorporate as extra credit creative ideas then they become a little more excited about the class. Even though you are ultimately adding more work it doesn't seem so, because they are having fun.

Example: I am teaching Anatomy and Physiology right now. I requested my students build a heart for extra credit.

I had several students that took me up on that challenge, came up with some very interesting techniques and used things I would have never thought to use and DID AN ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC JOB!!

The director of the school took pictures of these wonderful creations. They were all different but very unique, but you definitely knew they were relica's of the human heart!

GOOD JOB STUDENTS--JOB WELL DONE!!

Hi Sheronda,
Good idea about using the CD for your students' electronic portfolio. These have proven to be very popular with both students and potntial employers. This method allows the students to keep their learning process up to date and available for sharing whenever needed.
Gary

Sign In to comment