Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Preparing yourself for class

I wanted to comment on the suggestion to "avoid a cold start" by getting to class a few minutes early and chatting informally with students before the class starts. While in point of fact I do the latter, my idealized image of a teacher or a professor is to be more aloof. I'm thinking of John Housman in "The Paper Chase," or even how Alistair Cook used to introduce Masterpiece Theatre. The professors I remember the best in my own education, from Harvard, Yale, and Vanderbilt, had a larger than life quality. I feel so small in comparison, even now that they are all dead. But maybe that was the style of another day. I certainly enjoy interacting with the students, being personal with them. But I just wonder if one loses something by that, that it says something like: you're just one of us.

Bruce Crissinger

Hi Bruce,
You make an excellent point about the status of a professor. In many of the major universities this is still true. The key difference in getting to know students and chatting with them a little before class starts is that career colleges are in the business of preparing students to enter into and succeed in a career field. Most all of the career fields involve service as a base and they need to develop their “people” / “customer” skills while they are learning.
Also, always remember that an instructor is a model of his/her field no matter what their status is. Model the behavior that you see is reflective of the field you represent. Good teaching!
Gary

Hello! I totally agree with "avoiding a cold start." I enjoy meeting and greeting my students before class starts on that very important first day. This puts the students at ease for the start of class. I teach a medical transcription class and they are with me all day. They don't know what to expect from me as a person and this gives them the opportunity to find out. It works both ways also, it helps me to get to know them also.

Hi Patricia,
An old saying is that "to be friendly you must show yourself friendly". That is the case with starting the class each day. By greating the students and having a time of "setting the stage" for the day's activities you development a bond with the class. Well stated. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Iam in total accordance with avoiding a cold start. I really feel like meeting students before class is important. the reason why is it breaks the ice between students. I also feel like each student should tell a little about themselves, and the instructor as well.

Hi Dupre,
That is why "ice breakers" are called "ice breakers". They are intended to get everyone comfortable and feeling good about the upcoming course. You are doing that by getting to know your students.
What are your most effective ways of getting to know your students?
Gary

I feel a good instructor is an insturtor who can commit themselves to the pursuit of reaching out to the students and no better way to do this is by putting yourself in their shoes. I think a great way to establish this is to prepare, prepare and prepare again. Thnking of any questions that might come up is good so you can see all sides of the picture.
Students appreciate that you have all the resources you need for the class. I try to come in early and have all handout done and ready to give. I try to put a quote of the day on the board to get all students and myself ready to engage and be involved with learning. By doing this, my actions and students retention are all focused on retention. It takes practice and time.

Hi Dagger,
Your last sentence puts it all together. "It takes practice and time." As you said it is worth it. I wish other instructors could see that with practice and effort their instuctional efforts will improve and they will reap the rewards of motivated students. There are efficient ways to do things, but there is no shortcut to instructional excellence.
Gary

Hi, Dagger,

Being prepared sends out so many positive vibes to students, other instructors and ourselves.

No matter the difficulties of a subject, the students feel comfortable when an instructor is prepared. Lack of preparation sends a negative message to students "I don't care". How can we expect our students to be prepared and ready to go when class starts if we are off to make copies, forgot a book or handout back in the office.

Organizational skills goes hand in hand with time management and professionalism just as much as attire and attitude.

Not only do the students deserve quality education because of the monetary sacrifice they are making; but because as instructors, we are responsible for giving our utmost to see that the students learn and develop both personally and academically while in our custody; to do otherwise, would be to fail the students.

The meet and greet is an excellent way of putting the students at ease with the instructor by telling the daily events like whats new , how is the repair from the day before holding together , etc.We teach Automotive technology and sometimes just that five or ten minute discussion before class lets the student vent about his ride in (good or bad),and anything else relevant to his daily schedule .

Hi Michael,
The development of rapport with students will go a long way in keeping them enrolled and progressing. You are right about how much impact just a few minutes of attention can have on a student. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Blending small talk into the first part of class is an exlent way in getting the students going for class.

I agree. This gives the instructor and student a chance to break down some of the impersonal barriers that exist. If a student has serious issues in their personal life, they are comfortable in divulging this information to me because I attempt to maintain a personable approach. At this point in time, I am able to help my students achieve success because I am able to direct them to counselors, financial aid, or any other departments that may be able to assist them with the problem that is consuming their focus.

Thomas J. Costello
Orlando, FL

Sign In to comment