Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

teaching skills

Having been a student not too long ago, I now realize the importance of the task the instructor has to organize, present, and evaluate each of the students taking the course.

Hi Nancy,
Based upon all of your responses in the forums it looks like you are ready to move into the education field well prepared. By reading, and observing you can develop a set of skills that will greatly assist you in the classroom. Good luck and good teaching.
Gary

I remember when I first started teaching, I really had only mastered one style of delivery. Although it worked ok, there were some students who appeared not to grasp the information. A few of them dropped out. After reflecting on this I decided to be more observant, more creative, and employ more positive reinforcement techniques. I still excercise reflection as the learning styles seem to change over time with each group of students. So constant reflection and adjustment is my input on this subject.

Hi James,
Your last sentence is well put. Constant reflection and adjustment will help you to better meet the need os your students. This is a key part of your professional development plan. Keep it up!
Gary

James,ones teaching skills depends on ones experience in that area of instructing. I believe that experience in the area of instruction pave the way to developing great teaching skills. Planning and developing and testing your lesson plan constant remind us of what we want our students to learn. I do agree with you because constant reflection and adjustment is so very important.

I am a very new instructor and learning daily by the reception and reactions I'm seeing in the classroom. Fortunately, I mix it up and feel the motivation is encreasing. I lecture, create working scenerios to the subject matter through handouts and encourage participation. So far so good. I am able to focus on the content in hand having prepared prior and adjust accordingly. As I proceed through my session of classes I keep a journal daily from which I can draw from the next time I have this class. It helps me better develop the skills I need to keep up on what works well. Does anyone else use a method that helps them?

Hi Linda,
Way to go! I have been using a journal for many years and have found that it really helps me to improve as an instructor. I know what things went well and what things I will never do again. I always review my journal when I am getting to teach a class. This gives me a great "heads up" while making my final preparations prior to the course.
Gary

Sign In to comment