Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I found that mature "old aged" students are more oriented for study at career school. They know what they can expect. They aware that they sacrifice their time and they want to get more for the time spending in school. Some young people are good as well. At the same time, there are students who choose the school without future vision. They came to school without any interst. Probably, they will not stay in profession later. But we have to teach everybody regardless. So, I try to spend more time with the students who have ego to study, even if they fail test question I still prefer to work for them. I told them thatI am ready to extend my hand to them. And it is their choice to accept this or not. They are in career school!! so no nursing and no baby sitting.

Hi Efim,
Your comments about the differences between career mature students and beginners are good ones. The career mature students are there to get a set of skills and get out. This is why I like career colleges. They are focused on doing one thing and doing it well, preparing individuals to earn a good living at what they have chosen to do.
Good teaching! I know you are doing and will continue doing a great job of meeting your students' needs.
Gary

I agree with Efim!

The non-traditional students (older) are the most motivated!

Yet, I teach at a less non-traditional college during the day where I have mainly 18 and 19 year old students and sometimes I DO feel like a babysitter and a disciplinarian, but I try to remain consistent with my rules no matter what age the student. It is, however, a pleasure to see a student REALLY want to be there to learn (no matter the age)!

Sign In to comment