Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First Day

I've been teaching for a while but I am enjoying revisiting procedures for the first day - it's good review and has given me some ideas for the next semester.

The first day generally requires some get to know you and ice-breaking activities. To change things up with student introductions I often ask them a non-standard question, such as "if you could be stranded on an island with any one person, alive or dead" who would it be. I often continue this during the semester as a question of the day exercise.

Duffy,
Yes it is. After teaching for many years I still review my procedures and methods I am going to use with my students so I can stay on the cutting edge of instructional delivery. Helps to keep me fresh and excited about the upcoming new class of students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Adam,
This is a fun exercise and a great ice breaker. I imagine you get some very creative and wide ranging responses with this question. By having fun at the beginning of the course and sharing some laughs the students can get settled in plus they get to know each other a bit better.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I love meeting my new class! It's nothing like that first day of class. I throw in a few icebreakers and food for thought and the students eat it up.

David,
I do to. It is fun to meet the new students and to learn about their backgrounds and why they are in the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

On the first day I always start out with introductions so that we can all get to know a little about each other. I think it makes the atmosphere much better.

Aleatha,
I agree with you about the value of a good impression along with a fun activity that will help the students to get settled into the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment