Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The first day of class

To an new instructor the first day of classs is very important, also to new students meeting there instructor for the first time. It is important for the instructor to set the tone of the class on the first day. Set the expectaation and find out what the expactations of his/hre students.

Carol,
Well said. It is so much easier to build off of a positive first impression and let the students engage in interaction with each other and see the value to what is going to be taught.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

First impressions are good but I dont judge a person by that initial contact.

Marsha,
Good strategy but our students do create a mental mindset based upon the first impression they have of their instructor. We need to be professional, organized and prepared so the student see a person that is going to provide them with quality instruction and current content.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I feel it is very important to set goals and a tone for the class on first day.Putting your goals out to the students gives some of them something to strive for.

After having taken this course, I plan to put more emphasis on how I approach the first day of class and the overall content of what will occur on that day.

I find a discussion on professionalism also goes a long way. Hidden inside this discussion we often set out our goals and tone for the class, ones first impression and dress goes a long way in aiding this discussion.

Brian,
I like the approach because you are giving the students a lot of information on a regular basis as well as helping them in the development of their career skills.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

The first day is a crucial for both the student and instructor. It is imperative that if you expect your students to come to class prepared that the instructor models this. If the instructor and/or school is not prepared, then it sets the tone for the students that they should not have to be prepared for class. Ensuring that the students have the syllabus, all course materials and conducting ice breakers are all key elements to having a successful first day.

Melissa,
If you start a class by not being prepared and organized then you are asking for problems from the students. So important to be ready that first day so you can get started with ice breakers, introductions and the promotion of acceptance into the class.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

This is one of my favorite days in each class. This is when I get to see where each one of my students is stands, now I have a fair idea of who will need more one on one attention, who is going to be the one who knows everything there is to talk about.
By the end of the class we are able to see how far each one of the students has come; there growth in the class is a great feeling that we as educators have helped them along the way.

Jacob,
I like the first day as well. It is fun to see who is going to be in the class and what experiences they bring. It is always a learning experience for me and I get excited about learning about the students and how I can help them be successful in the course.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment