Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Focusing to the Head, Heart, and Gut

In one of the Harvard Business video clips the professor mentioned trying to reach the head (intellectual learning), the heart (passion), and the gut (action) when instructing to students.

As a student of brain research to some degree, I find this to be true. The more we can reach the students, especially emotionally, the more they are likely to engage and remember what is presented.

What are some ways you can think of to engage learners at either the head, the heart, or the gut; or all three for that matter?

David,
You have to help the students personalize the content of the course. They need to see value, relevance, and application in their lives and this is the emotional part of the learning process. They need to "buy in" and see how the content and skill development enables them to continue toward their career goals.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I think it's about taking the what (intellectual knowledge) and applying "How" (action) and "Why" (passion) so that students learn the material on a much deeper level.....Case examples or stories are very effective for this.

Rachel,
Good approach to getting the students to think and problem solve. You are giving them the big picture of why they are being asked to learn the material and then they get to use that material. This gives them both relevance and application two major parts of learning value.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

David, I think that intellectual emotional and action is all a part of the learning process. It is critical that the intellectual knowledge be passed on but, without any wanna from the students the action lacks and therefore you end up with poor performers. I always believed that you can do anything in this world with only three beliefs. Knowing and passionately acting on these beliefs will get you anywhere you want to be in this world. These three things are:
1 Wanna, without wanting to do a thing you will never do it
2 Just do it, you have to practise the thing that you are trying to achieve.
3 The more you do it the better you get, Practise makes perfect.

I ask students if they want to be a millionaire. most will answer yes. I then ask them what did they do to become a millionaire today. Most will answer nothing. I then explain to then that they must not want it bad enough because they did nothing to achieve it. They did not have the Wanna.

I did not quite get what he meant by "gut". Thank you for your post. "Action" makes sense to me now!

Sign In to comment