Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Meeting the Class for the First Time

When meeting my class for the first time, I feel it is very important that I share with with my students my professional experience outside of the 'teaching world'. This helps convey that I am an expert within my field. I also encourage my students to tell me about themselves - what they are hoping to get out of the class and what the aspire to do after obtaining their education.

I agree with your strategy. I also talk about myself outside the classroom and my FT job and professional experience as well as why I was drawn to teaching and reasons I enjoy both. I also enjoy getting to know my students through open conversations with each class and what has drawn them to the profession.

I agree with you, I tell them about myself and I ask why they are in the class and what they expect to get out of the class. I then explain that I am here to teach them that so that they will be prepared to take a national board that they must pass to start working in the field. So they understand that passing the class is not the ultimate goal, passing the boards is.....

I like to put the students at ease when meeting them initially. While it is important that students understand that there are expectations that are required of them, I also feel that in order to help them obtain those requirements, they need to feel that I am approachable for any topic they need to discuss and not have a fear of asking for help if needed. Breaking the ice, initially is very important in my opinion and sometimes that happens in different ways from class to class,

Sign In to comment