Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Breaking The Ice

Ice breakers are a fun way to lessen the initial stress component of the first class meeting and gives way to all involved to be themselves, relax & see a glimpse of who the class participants are.

Hi Sandra,
I use ice breakers in my classes and really benefit from the results. You are right about how they relax students and get them talking with each other. This sets a positive tone for future classes.
Gary

My students are in classes that demand communication. Ice breakers are a great way to get students to feel comfortable and connected to each other. I have students who still come back to visit my classes after 2 years and tell me that they really enjoyed the class and felt close to the other students.

Hi Lori,
What a great complement for your teaching methods and approach. When students share with you after graduating it demonstrates the impact you had on their lives.
Gary

Remembering back when I was a student entering a class for the first time, the instructor's classes I always enjoyed were the ones that remembered something about me when I introduced myself for the first time. Because of this I try to remember at least one small thing that each student relates in their introduction that I can discuss with them later in the class. I do this to make them feel like I consider their success to be as important as mine has been. It also aids me in remembering their names.

Could you please give some specific examples of ice breakers that have worked well? I have not tried this yet. My current class is a group of seven. Six of the seven have known each other for years. I notice they tend to still treat the seventh student as an outsider.

Hi Robinette,
Two lies and a truth is one that works well for small classes and students that know each other. The students say three things about themselves and the other students then try to guess which items are made up and which one is true. This generates a lot of discussion, laughter, and interaction. For students that might be considered as outsiders this ice breaker generally opens the eyes of the other students because they learn something they didn't know about a person that they don't know well. This is not to mention all the learn about those that they already think they know well.
Gary

Wish I knew what class you were teaching. A group that has known each other for years tends to have group think alot and often influence each other. I would try class challenges in which you could seperate into two or three teams. A little competition between each other may help them decide that they have minds of their own and do not always conform to each other. It would also force some one-on-one with the student they tend to leave out which will aid in that student's acceptance alot faster. Friendships tend to form when people on reliant on each other. Do it for extra credit points which may help them when it comes to grading and also motivate them to learn the material. Good Luck.

I agree Gary. They are fun for the teachers too :)

Sandra

Hi Robin,

I agree that it assists the teacher in learning the student names plus it may help you identify them with a trait or topic.

Thanks,
sandra

Hi Robin,

You can do ice breakers that have students introduce someone else in the class. Partners are chosen at random and a list of fun questions need to be answered. Each student then introduces their new friend to the rest of the class. I usually pick partners using 2 decks of playing cards. Then students find their "matching" card. Theymay ask the other student what their favorite food is or favorite piece of clothing, favorite candy, etc.

Have a great semester!
Sandra

Thanks for sharing this ice breaker. The class I teach is small (class limit is 8) and most of the students have been together for at least a year. This game should hopefully help me learn something about them without it being repetative for the students that already know each other. Although I think I will have them give 2 truths and 1 lie, so that I learn more truths about them.
Kari

That's true, and when you know that you are for your students more than a professor, but an educator, it encourage you to continue the way you are

I find that breaking the ice is absolutely necessary in order to create an educational home for the student. Once the student is comfortable with their classmates, then you have created an ideal learning environment.One in which the student feels welcome to discus classroom topics and speak in any open forum inspired by the instructor. I also find that my students feel I am approachable when they see me as a real person rather than a figure of authority.I try to encourage students to feel that the classroom is a safe place for educational exspression without judgement.In return for this notion my students feel comfortable asking questions about the lecture no matter how silly they think it is. This is because they know we are and team and no one is mocking them. I do also utilize icebreaker activities. Like, day one ,pair up students and let them hav fifteen minutes to get to know one another. Once meeting is complete then i go around the entire classroom having them introduce one another to the class. This works extremely well because most people do not like introducing themselves to a group but seem to have no problem introducing others. it gets them talking to one another and laughing together.Once I have achieved entire class being introduced I introduce myself to the class last.

Hi Ondrea,
What a great way to open up a new class and get the students interacting with each other. Development of social skills in a new learning setting is important. You are offering them opportunities to get to know each other while developing their listening skills as they interview each other.
Gary

Sign In to comment