Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Back Row...

What do you do to keep the students in the back row as engaged as the students in the front?

Hi Ajani,
There are several things you can do. One, arrange the seats in a horseshoe so there are no back row seats. If that is not possible you can have assigned seating and mix the students up this will help to reduce the cliques from talking. When talking starts you can slowly walk to the area and this will stop the talking. If it doesn't talk with the offenders after class individually. If that doesn't work I address them while the class is in session. The last resort is that I ask them to leave the class because they are disrupting the learning of others.
Gary

we have this pre-arranged desk set up which, of course we can change, but i'll try addressing the individuals in the back as well--working mainly with the active ones isn't so effective--as i think it weakens the total interest in my class more often than not.

In my experience, the students who sit in the back rows are the ones who could benefit the most from sitting in the front row. They often "flee to the back," I suspect, in hopes of not being called upon nor watched too closely (so they can screw around).

It's one thing if they don't want to learn. I get those types of students sometimes, and a better place for them is NOT at the front of the room either, but for them to be in OUTSIDE of the classroom.

But if it's more a matter of the student having difficulties, or knowing that they are a slow learner that drives them to the back, we've have to do something that gets them closer to the front, especially the ones who have difficulties concentrating and remaining focused.

As I teach mostly computer courses, it becomes mandatory that students sit in the same place, and for them to care for and maintain the same machine. I find that it's best to assign the seating on the second day, after having a chance to assess what would be best for the students. (So, I don't do anything too drastic when they set up the machines on the first day that would keep them from being too tied to a particular student). And, as I have no intention of "singling out" a particular student during such a move, I use this opportunity instead to assign students into working groups (useful for my "client/server" activities). Many factors go into my choosing which groups that a student should be assigned into, but this is certainly an important part of that decision. And, one that I may not share with the student.

Hi John,
You have a very clear and comprehensive approach to your classroom/lab. You are really providing a service to your students, whether they appreciate it or not, by putting them into groups and assigning them a seat. This way you can direct the dynamics of the class if you need to by moving students around. I move my students on occasion to give them exposure to other students. I tell them that I will be doing this throughout the course, so when I do it is no surprise. This approach lets me make the move if I have a student management issue without it seeming as such. Thus, it doesn't get the students stressed.
Gary

Thanks, Gary. It gets a little more difficult (although not impossible) to move a student when the student is maintaining a particular computer workstation that is not easily moved. So, it's critical that instructors in such situations assess the student needs early in the course.

There are also logical breaks in the course (after a clean system reinstall, for example) where the move can be made.

Hi John,
I if I can be of any further help please let me know. It would be a pleasure to work with you.
Gary

Thanks, Gary.
I enjoyed the course, and hope to be taking more in the future.

John Beach

I like that idea...reassign on the second day depending on the terrain...

I am not concerned with where people sit but am with who they sit by. The back row is not always the shy, retiring student row. It just may be students that like the back row. I stand in the middle of the class at times and talk while turning slow circles, I might change the order of seats, I might ask them to sit with someone they don't know, or to just stand at the back of the class, have them move their chairs to the other side of the table and the back becomes the front. Don't make an issue where one need not exist. I am more flexible than the students for movement and involvement.

Hi Bob,
I put my chairs in a horseshoe shape to get maximum eye contact plus put everyone on the front row. You expressed it well in terms of how to use seating as point of interaction and cooperation. I use group work a lot so I am moving the students which requires they move their chairs into their groups. This creates new dynamics of interaction so seating is not a real issue as you say.
Gary

Yes, always moving around really negates the "back row" hiding places.

Sometimes I ask the student in the back row to move forward. I might put the students in group projects or call on the student during a presentation. Walking around the classroom also helps to keep the student engaged.

Bob, I like the idea of having students move their chairs so they can see you at the back of the room.

By walking around in the classroom as you instruct you eliminate the back row. It also keeps your students attention focused on you as you walk. Students have a problem staying focused, looking straight ahead for the length of the class. It's boring. Walking through the room also allows you to ensure they are not texting on there phones, sleeping, or are engaged in non course activities.

Hi Ralph,
All good points about the positive parts of moving around the classroom. I would add one additional one. When students move their gaze from one place to another their brains take a mini-break. This mini-break enables them to reset their thinking and even though it is only for a second or two it is enough for them to refresh and be ready for the next point the instructor is going to make. With a constant gaze to the front of the room their eyes and heads never move and their brains slip into neutral.
Gary

I always try to keep a central aisle-way open so when I am lecturing, I can walk up and down to make eye contact with every student.

On day one I let the students sit wherever they like. What they don't know is that I have the room set up backwards. The back row is actually the front. When I arrive in the classroom I have them all turn their chairs around and face what they thought was the back of the room.
After day one I go with a board room style U shaped seating arrangement, that way there is no back row and everyone understands that there is no hiding in the back to avoid being part of the class.

Hi Loren,
Tricky! It shows the students that you are aware of how and where they are positioning themselves. The use of the board room style is something I like as well. It keeps everyone up front and involved.
Gary

I am a big fan of the horse shoe approach. it allows everyone to have some line of sight and encourages engagement of all.

Sign In to comment