Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The !st Day

It is a fun day to meet the new students of the course I like to ask them questions to find out where they live and what are there plans for the future it is a calm and laid back time to adjust to a new course.Rich Molloy

I like hearing the history of the student from them. I believe that it makes them more comfortable in the learning enviorment.

Meeting students for the first time is not only fun, it can set the tone for the entire class. Students build an opinion of the class and the instructor within the first few minutes of entering the classroom. I think it's always important to introduce yourself and get to know the students right away to set a positive tone for the entire class.

In addition to having both the students and myself begin to become familiar with each other I try to relate how the course will positively impact on being successful in their chosen vocation.

I let the student know that making mistakes is part of learning and just because i am instructor, doesnt make me mistake free. frank

Hi Frank,
Good point. Sometimes when admitting these mistakes you find an even greater teachable moment. When they occur capitalize on them.
Gary

I have to agree that the first day is an extremely fun day and extremely informative. I plan for my first day for about a week, because I want it to be as planned and thought out as possible. Not only is it the students first day but it is my firdt day with them. there is only one first impression and I want to convene to them that I feel education is a serious business. I want them to realize i am here to help them succeed not fail.
thanks

Hi David,
Great plan for the first day. By establishing that your concern for their success is important to you and them your students will have a much higher level of respect for you. Good Teaching!
Gary

I like to go and meet the students that are comming to my class next so they get to know me before they come to class the first day.

Hi John,
This is a great idea. It really helps for students to see a familiar face as they transition to a new setting. If they have met you and know you are their next phase teacher they will be easier to get settled into the new class. It really helps them to get comfortable with their new surroundings.
Gary

Sign In to comment