Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Expectations

You covered your expectations on Day 1. On Day 3 a student disrupts the class with negative remarks towards another students questions.
What do you do?

Hi Tim,
You immediately stop the discussion and move to something else so the student that is causing the problem cannot continue to say things about another student. Then you talk with the student privately after class. Outline once more the expectations concerning respect for others and treatment of fellow students. Let the student know you expect him/her to respect others throughout the duration of the course. If that does not work then you may have to remove the student from the class.
Gary

Steven Pino,

Instructors should never harness any type of negative energy in the classroom or lab areas. Once detected an instructor must have a reaction to convert it to positive energy before it spoils the rest of the day. Right there and then have a 'Jesus Meeting' with that student to change is attitude quick or he's out of the ball park. Instructors are pack leaders.

After having discussed the expectations with the class and a student blatantly disregards those expectations. I suppose I would have a talk with him to remind him once more of the expectations and if that doesn't help then I would probably send him home for a day or have him talk with an EM

You should ask the student to step outside and have a talk with the student about having a positive attitude.

I try to defuse the immediate situation with some humor unless the remarks are totally unacceptable. In that case, I ask the student to see me privately after the logical break in the procedings.

Hi Mili,
This is a good way to divert what can be a difficult situation by introducing a bit of humor or some conversation so the student has time to get settled and think about what is causing the problem. By talking with the student individually you showing you care but that you won't let that person disrupt the class.
Gary

Sign In to comment