Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First Day of Class

After I introduce myself to the class, I ask the students what do they think this class is all about,Why is it important for them to take this class and How will this class help them in their chosen field or career.

First I start by introducing myself, tell them about my background in the industry, then I ask them why they have an interest in this industry. I also advise them that it is a diffcult industry to be in and that they must have the passion for it.

Hi, I ask if they want to play golf and have fun both as a hobby and a job. We then talk about how many golf courses are in the tri county area and how many need chefs and work this into food safety. It is an ice breaker because some like to fish, others only work, others well... Which gets back to my asking if they would be interested in the LCB golf club.
Thanks, Larry you are the only person who's name I recognized and DO You play golf?
Bennett

THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS IS SO IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT WILL ILLUSTRATE THE SETTING, THE STANDARDS AND THE CONTENT OF THE COURSE. IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER.

I feel this helps. You can find out who is relly here to learn or not. but some times you do not have the time to do this.

I like the fact that you ask them what they think the class is going to be about. This gives you a chance to hear what the students are expecting and how feel about the course.

Bennett, I want to play golf with you.
I talk about my history to give the students an overview of a chefs journey.

After I introduce myself to the class,I like to make sure the students are comfortable and introduce themselves to me. I also ask them to tell me their favorite instroctor and class so far. This helps me set a pace and teaching style for the class.

That's great! It's important for them to know how this class will benefit them throught their career.

The first day of class is always my favorite, bc I tell them a little about myself and of course my dog, I relate alot of what I talk about to my dog, so by the end of class they always ending telling me about their pets and we talk about them.Then I ask each person to tell me a little about them(do they have kitchen experience is this a change of carrer etc.)
Its just so interesting to me to see how much passion and interest some of these students have.

Hi Christina,
What a nice way to start a new class and set everyone at ease. In addition you are creating a comfortable setting for the students and I am sure they feel ready to face the new course requirements.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

I also introduce myself and give a brief history of my background. I than ask the students to introduce themselves and give a brief statement of why they are here and what they expect to accomplish: even though everyone may know each other. It is a way to find out their goals and desires, who has any experience and what groups have formed. Usually a discussion will start and everyone is put at ease. This is done after attendance and before anything has been given out.

After introducing myself, I will ask them why they chose nursing as a profession and what do they expect to learn from this class. I usually tell my students what I expect of them during the term.

After I introduce myself i ask for my students to introduce themselves and how they chose this career. This helps me know who is going to be passionate about school.

Hi Chef Don,
We seem to start class the same way. That is by intorducing our selves and background, but I also have the students go around intorducing themselves to me and where they are from along with their reason for coming to the school. Through this method,not only get a chance to start getting to know their names but also what their goals are.
Then I take that information and use it to help me remember who they are ( ie. Max, food critique).

Sign In to comment