Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Late Work

If a student turns in their homework late, should they still have the opportunity to score 100 or should we always take points off for being late?

Hi Tracy,
The system I developed and use is 20% of the total points are deducted for each day the assignment is late. In 5 days there are no points left. Simple to administer. I keep open the option to hear "special cases" and then I can make a decision. As you know there are always circumstances that demand a hearing so I listen and then decide what I points I am going to give. I try and be consistent in my decisions so I don't get into a position where I am being "played" by the students. As a result I generally only have one, maybe two student situations during a course phase.
Gary

A student who turns in work late should not have the same opportunity for 100% as a person who respected the deadline and turned his/her assignment in on time. As long as you clearly state what "late" is and what the consequences for late assignments are ... you should be fine.
Sue Kinney

Tracy,
The 15-20 points off of the grade per day seems to help a number of the instructors that I've spoken with. If presented as a class policy, there's very little "wiggle room".
Joe Macre

Hi Tracy,
I think the key to your question is the word "always." I think it's important to be consistent in taking off points for late work, but not blindly so - if the student was actually ill (it's documented), for example, I will bend the policy - but there must be documentation of the reason the assignment is late, or else the points off will apply.
Debbie

I have made it crystal clear to my students, that late assignments is subjected to 5 point deduction each day that it is late. I have a zero tolerance policy for late papers, because it is not fair to me as an Instructor, and as well as to other students who have handed in their assignments on time. Late assignments create a devastating "snow ball" effect and disrupts the continuity of the class schedule. I have made it clear to my students, that I am not interested in hearing any "River of Tears" stories about why their assignments are late, especially, when I have given them ample time to complete the time. Now that I am an instructor, the shoe is on the other foot. ( so to speak) I now understand how my Undergraduate and Graduate Professors felt whenever,myself and other class mates handed in our assignments late.. ;-)

Hi Reva,
Good example of how to deal with late assignments. It is also good for us instructors to look back at our previous preparation and see how our instructors handled these situations.
Gary

I so agree with your policy. Make it clear to the students in the beginning and stick to your rules. Of course, sometimes exceptions to the rule applies if an emergency occurs.

Hi LaDonna,
That is the part about teaching that requires common sense and good judgment. When to make exceptions to the benefit of students without compromising the course.
Gary

this happens often to me. It is not fair to the students who hand it in on time to give a late person the same grade. I drop one letter grade for each day it is late.

Some studants need extra help so if this is the first homework assignment You may need to talk to him or her and ask them why it was late.Give extra help if they need it.

Hi Ed,
You are right about the need for helping students as they get settled into a new class or even school after being out a while. They need to develop their skills at completing assignments and meeting deadlines if they are going to be successful in their career area.
Gary

Sign In to comment