Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gaining respect on day one

It is very important for the students that the instructor be in class before the first student arrives. Have all necessary paper work in-front of chairs to which students will sit.
I introduce myself as Mrs. and not my first name. I believe that is the first step for gaining respect from any student. Usually from that point on the respect is established on both sides.

Hi Melody,
You are right on target in getting a new class started. By establishing yourself as being in charge of the learning setting and gaining your students' respect by your organization you are going to have a much easier time with classroom management. As the course mentioned you have to be a manager, motivator and model. All three have to be in place and through your comments I can see you are fulfilling those roles.
Gary

Melody, I believe you right to demand respect in how you are addressed as a teacher. I do the same with my class.
I do tell my students that they are my family but I have found that I have to distance myself from them to maintain respect. Unfortunately they seem to run amuck unless you keep their respect.
Chuck Kaplan

Sign In to comment