Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First Impressions

Hello Everyone,

I thought I introduce this topic onto the forum since nobody has done so yet. Even if it is a cliche. First impressions count. For this reason before my first day of class, I go over my classroom and insure all equipment is working order, all tables and chairs are clean, whiteboard is clean, and all materials that student will require will be on hand for the students when they arrive. On that first day, sharply dressed, I great each student, and either hand them the printed syllabus, or direct them to the online version. The look of the classroom, and the instructor, as well as the perception of professionalism is very important. It sets the tone for the rest of the course.

Andrés

Hi Andres,
You are right on target. By doing all of the things you outlined in your forum comments you are living up to the model part of teaching. I am sure your students are very impressed with your professional approach to starting a new class. Once you have established yourself you are going to have a much easier time with creating rapport with your students. Outstanding job, keep up the good work!
Gary

FIRST IMPRESSIONS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT. WHEN GREETING THE CLASS FOR THE FIRST TIME IT IS NECESSARY FOR THE INSTRUCTOR TO BE DRESSED APPROPIATELY, WELL GROOMED AND WELL MANNERED. THIS GIVE THE STUDENT A VISUAL VIEW OF WHT THE INSTRUCTOR EXPECTS FROM THEM,, NEATNESS AND GOOD MANNERS ARE VERY IMPORTANT WHEN YOPU ARE PREPARING TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL IN ANY FIELD. WE AS IINSTRUCTORS MUST SET A GOOD EXAMPLE.

HELLO ANDRES, WHEN THE INSTRUCTORS OF OUR COURSE MEET THE STUDENTS WE MEET THEM WITH A UNITED FRONT. WE ARE ALL PROFESSIONALLY DRESSED WITH HAIR WELL GROOMED. WE DO NOT TRY TO DRESS IN OUR "SHARPEST GARB",WE WEANT TO SHOW THE STUDENTS THAT IT IS NOT IMPORTANT TO OUT DRESS ANYONE, IT IS IMPORTANT TO PRESENT YOURSELF PROFESSIONALLY NEAT CLEAN AND WELL GROOMED. WE THEN HAND EVERY ONE A SYLLABUS OF THE COURSE AND IN OUR SYLLABUS WE HAVE QUESTIONAIRES ASKING THEM WHY THEY WANT TO TAKE THIS COURSE AND WHAT DO THEY EXECT TO GET OUT OF IT. WE ALSO GIVE THE EXZMPLES OF THE FORMS USED IN THEIR PROFESSIONS AND INFORM THEM THAT WE WILL DISCUSS THE FORMS AT THE TIME THEY COME UP DURING THE COURSE.

Hi Eula,
Good approach. You and the rest of the faculty are sending a very clear message that together you are going to help them achieve to the maximum extent possible.
Gary

First impressions are very important in making the rest of the class go in the right direction. Good first impressions will enable you to gain respect from the students and establish solid direction on how you will proceed with the class.

If you think that you don't have to make a good impression on your students then you are sadly mistaken.
A good first impression that you are credible, professional and knowledgeable will set the tone of how they will feel their success will be.
If they view you as all of the above, coupled with honest, good values and structure, you will set a precedence on day one and they will have enough confidence in you that hopefully will help them to gain the much needed confidence in themselves that almost all of them need.

Sign In to comment