Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Discipline Challenged students!

I have been teaching for 5 years. I have the reputation of being tough, demanding and fair, and my students love me. Once in a while I have students that I absolutly cannot reach. They arrive late (which of course disrupt the class), have no personal discipline, and constantly disrupt the class with their talking. I tried talking to them outside of class but it does not work. The only recourse I have is to ask them to leave the class and go talk to the director so that the rest of the class can learn. The other students appreciate their leaving, the director supports me as it seems that my class is not the only class these students disrupt but I feel guilty. I would appreciate any ideas on how to reach these discipline challenged students.
Thank you

Hi Anne-Patricia,
You are doing the right thing by removing those students that disrupt the learning of others. All instructors want all of their students to succeed but as we know in real life this is not going to always be true. In terms of reaching those students that lack in discipline I don't have a collective answer but an individual one. I try and approach such a student and try to find some key to unlocking their situation. In some cases I am able to find something that will get them involved in learning and in others cases I cannot get through to them. It saddens me that I am not able to reach them all but such is life. I will say each failure to reach situation teaches me even more about how I will approach the next student and try to get them involved in a life change that will help them with career success.
Gary

I would begin by examine his or her weakness that pertains to the course material, and continue to ask direct questions to establish a baseline. I would then offer directions, and soon enough, these challenged students will settle down.

Hi Robin,
I commend you on your approach in establishing a baseline for your students that are challenged. You have to have a starting point before you can help them. I use a variety of different pre-course assessments that help me to develop a picture of what I need to do to keep these students engaged and progressing in the course.
Gary

Hi Anne-Patricia,
I've fallen victim to the same situation several times in the past. And I totally agree with the manner in which you handled those types of situations. Students with bad attitudes can infect the entire classroom. However, this is the last thing I worry about due to the fact that in my institution after four referals there're no longer a student. Anne-Patrica I would also like to add that you should not feel any guilt because someone does not want to recieve an education that they have to pay for.

Thank you for your comments. Its helpful to read how you attempt to reach out to each student to help them learn while attempting to learn yourself even when you don't feel like you're getting through.

The question that comes to my mind is what would you suggest are some appropriate boundaries when it comes to helping a student learn how to learn?

I see so many that have never really learned how to work or to even focus so when I'm in the process of teaching the student the information they need for their chosen career I observe some basic lifeskills that are missing and don't know what is the best response to that as a teacher.

We all have those kind of students. I try to remember that for every one you cannot reach there are at least 3 that you have reached. You cannot please or reach everyone and that goes for in the classroom as well as outside. By focusing on the ones you are reaching it will take the wind out of the one that you cannot.

Hi Gerri,
Good comments about reaching students. Sad to say some students just seem bent of failing. The reason I enjoy teaching so much is that I have a chance to work with those students that want to learn. Also, it is great when one of those failing students sees the light and comes around and I get to move them into the plus column.
Gary

We have very strict attendance policies and consequent struggles. The program prepares students for careers in the marine trades and so by nature is project oriented. Our most common efforts at poor attendance is failure = probation/removal so it is not tolerated and some effort to relate the reasons they came in the first place with advancement. The use of a carrot if you will (if you want this you must achieve this first) It often works but can take a couple of months on probation.

-Clark

Hi Clark,
Attendance seems to be a problem for all colleges. It always amazes me that students will pay tutition to come and then not attend. Doesn't make sense but is reality. Since career colleges are training for employment they need to enforce their attendance polices. Sounds like you all are on the right track. The carrot always has to be there so they will see an end in sight, plus the reason for their training.
Gary

I have a few discipline- challenged students myself, and I personally believe that it was the way they were raised. Am I being too lenient?

Victoria

Hi Victoria,
The key with developing self discipline in students is to show them steps they can follow to achieve the desired outcomes. They may not know how to follow a path that helps them get assignments completed or projects ready to turn in. I try and have short term deadlines that then progress to having the entire project completed. This way stress is reduced and you can see how the students are progressing, help them make any mid-project corrections and meet sequential deadlines. By keeping the deadlines short such as having part of a project due in 3 days, then another in 3 days, you are showing the students how they can achieve success.
Gary

you sometimes have to accept the fact that some students in this day and age just dont care. some are attending aschool just please parents.if you find students of this type, you owe your interested students your time.

Sign In to comment