Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teacher's initial, and subsequent presentation/style..

One thing I find challenging is where to draw the line between being friendly/entertaining, while of course being informative, and being a bit more hard-nosed.

Some of my students seem to be on the verge of un-interested in being there, and I fear that any forceful presentation may scare them off. Some of them need this forceful presentation, because they're "slacking off"....

Any ideas on how to strike this balance?

i find that being the instructor has an advantage...you are smarter than they are...now this being said, challenge them on every point. make them talk to you in class discussion. i put the fear of god into my students in a very gentle way. they all know that i will call on all of them, they have to speak in class and answer questions, and there is no compromise in this. i also tell them that if they don't get it, ask me and i will do what ever it takes to make sure they understand the subject matter at hand. i am their teacher, not their friend. i will be their friend as soon as they complete my classes w/ a good grade. if they are slacking off, then pull them aside after class and find out why. it is usually because they are intimidated by the class and/or afraid of failing in front of their peers...give them the confidence to be a sucessful student in your class. don't ever be afraid to be forceful, if you do, this is a sign of weakness they will prey on for the rest of time.

Hi Gregory,
Use the old approach of common sense. How does your approach feel? Do you think it is working? Be ready to make changes as the course develops and you will find that you are engaging the students in the learning process and they don't even know it. Meaning they are focusing on the content and the approach while "soaking" up what you want them to learn.
Gary

Hi John,
Thank you for those comments about getting students involved. You gave a number of good suggestions about how you can keep the students engaged in the learning process.
Gary

Sign In to comment