Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating Students

I find motivating students to be one of the most challenging aspects of teaching. To explain this fully requires some generalization about students "today". At the outset I must say that while this generalization is intentional, I fully recognized that not all students are the same. I know this to be true from my own classrooms where I find many motivated students.
This said, it is my observation that students today tend to be extremely difficult to motivate. After reading the materials presented in module #3, I better understand causation, but will have to think further about how to address the "causes".
Particularly, the module points to:
"Appreciation for the value of learning"
"Expectation of success"
"Belief that performance is realted to reward"
In my experience, many students do not value learning, they simply want to complete the degree requirements for purposes of career opportunity/advancement. So, many view my course, not as a learning opportunity, but as another task to complete.

Concerning expectation of success- Yes,students are concerned about making the grade and passing the course; so much so that it tends to be their sole focus. However, they do not correlate this success with effort, dilligence, or learning.

And finally, the belief that performance is related to reward seems to be a foreign concept to many students. I think all understand that hard work does pay off, but I fully believe that they believe there to be easier ways to obtain the "pay off", so they resist putting in the work.

In closing I must refer to my earlier disclaimer:
I do know that not all students are alike; I have many hard-working, motivated students. BUT generally speaking, it just seems that students don't "get it". Finally, no, I am not a cynical, grizzled, college instructor who does not like students. The only reason I teach is because I enjoy students, and I go to great lengths to motivate them to LEARN. I simply become increasingly frustrated when it seems to continually fall on deaf ears?

Hi Jackie,
You did a very good job of addressing one of the key issues facing career college instructors today. That issue is student motivation in relation to outcomes. Many of them as you stated see only steps for completion rather than learning opportunities. In spite of their lack of caring about many of the aspects of our courses they are being exposed to the content. I work hard, just as you do to relate to the students and create rapport with them. If we do not connect, I still strive for content acquistion. In addition, I work to enjoy all of my students and be encouraged by those that "get it". They are my reward at the close of the class each and every day.
Gary

Dr. Meers:

Thanks for the reminder that what is important is that instructors understand the need to relate to students, build a rapport, strive to motivate, and provide quality instruction presenting quality content. If we do these things then those who want it will "get it". Others may not, but I can take some degree of satisfaction in knowing that I have done what I could... and that minimally my students have been "exposed" to good instruction, good content, and motivational techniques- by someone who is interested in them and their education.

HI Jackie,
Well said! You have captured what many instructors strive for. In addition, the point about satisfaction is a good one. We all need to feel that at the end of the day we have given our best effort for our students.
Gary

One of the techniques we use at our school is called a motivational sheet. it is given during orientation. This is a letter that the students write to themselves when they are in the momment of school and are excited about what happens and what they want out of school. When the student gets down and discouraged, I pull out the sheet and send them their letter. This way they have another dimension of staying in school. We try to assist the students in many ways. I feel that listening to what the students want is a huge factor in how our school conducts themselves. I take pride in the fact that when I motivate students, they motivate me to assist them more. i would go to all extremes to help out our students. I feel that they respect me this way and know I am not going to give them lips service when they have a big problem.

Hi Dagger,
Great idea in using the letter. This is a case where one's own words can serve to motivate. From your comments I am sure your students enjoy your classes and that you are an excellent teacher.
Gary

I strongly believe motivating students maybe the one of the most important subject for all of us to pay atention in order to contribute their progress.

Sign In to comment