Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Meeting the class for the first time.

Generally, on the first day of my classes, I go around the room, and have everyone introduce themselves, and say something about themselves. Eventually, this leads to a discussion of the class itself, and to why being enrolled in the class will benefit their understanding of their chosen field of study. It also helps me to remember names and have a little background information on each student, because while this is taking place I take notes and include them in their file.

Hi Timothy,
Getting to know your students from the start is the a way of giving a boost to your class. They feel you care about them and why they are in the class.
I like your idea of taking notes about the information each student shares with the class. Not only does this help you to get to know your students quicker, it will help you later in starting a conversation with a student. I have found that if I know a student has an interest, say in sports, I can make a comment or two about the most recent game and this starts a conversation. I then can lead into a topic or question I have about the work the student is doing. It helps me create rapport with that student.
Gary

I like to do the same, I introduce myself and I like to throw in a few funny lines to get the class laughing. This tends to help break the ice and then after each student introduces themselves I like to make a comment regarding what they said. Sometimes I'll make it funny then they will become even more relaxed.

Timothy,

It is a good idea to have this info written down. I find, however, that taking notes prevents me from fully participating in the students' introductions. I like the idea of having the students make notes on cards, which I can collect to have the info I need.

John Kavouras

On the first day of class I have each student write down a brief summary of themselves. Then for something fun they are to list 3 things that people would be surprised to know about them. It always surprises everyone.

Hi Becca,
Anything you can do to set students at ease, learn about them and to help them become a part of your learning community is good. The intro exercise you are using helps to achieve that. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I usually have the class introduce themselves to the class and tell a little bit about why they chose the program, where they see themselves in the future, etc. Another tactic that they seem to enjoy is talking to someone they do not know and then introducing that person to the class.

Hi Linda,
Good ideas about getting the class started and introducing themselves.
Another tool that might be helpful for you to use is the "inner circle-outer circle". The students form two circles one inner and one outer. They introduce themselves to the person in front of them and then move at the instructor's signal one place until they have worked around the entire circle. This works best with larger classes. During the time spent with the person in front of them they share the same type of information as you have listed, names, goals, experiences, etc.
Gary

Thanks Dr. Gary
I like the outer/inner circle idea.
Linda Harford

I guess I'm jumping on board with going around the room. I use the first day to get to know them and for them to feel comfortable with each other. It facilitates class discussions later in the semester.

Dennis,
Good plan that works for getting the students settled into the class and feeling comfortable.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment