Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comfort Level

In my first class I try to make students comfortable about what our educational goals are during said course. I find it opens minds to learn if they feel it is what they put into as much as what I teach them. I use "WE" often to let them know it is a collective effort but ultimately they are responsible for what they learn. It has worked well because students do not have any problems asking questions.

Hi William,
You are setting the stage for success with your students. By having clear expectations and clear directions, you reduce many of the fears your students have. Everyone likes to know where they are going, how they are going to get there, and know when they have arrived. You are doing this for your students.
Gary

Thanks William. I'll use your "WE" reference in my future classes.

I agree with using "we" and "all of us" as statements that are inclusive. I think it is good to appear strongly focused on the subject you're about to teach, but not to come off as being "the know it all" and/or the "final word" on the course topic. Showing some vulnerability to the students might make you less of an intimidating person. Approaching the class as "we" will all be learning together is a good approach.

Placing the students in a relaxed atmosphere their first day in class and letting them know that you are exciting mixed with a fear could possiblly leave the students with the big brother, big sister mole. The students will likely be more readily to except or adhere to your expectation of them with the course. People tend to respond better to other people expactation.

Hi Larry,
The key to getting the class off to a good start is to make your students to feel accepted, comfortable and supported. Giving them a chance to meet each other and to know what is expected of them will help them to feel a part of the new course they are starting.
Gary

On the first day of class i like to talk to my students, get them to know me and me about them, and I also like to discuss what they want to learn. By making a clear connection between what they want and what the course outline is, they tend feel more excited to come to class and they prepare better for class because of this.

Hi Andres,
What of some of the ways that you create clear connections between what the students want and what you are going to teach?
Gary

On the first day of class, I give the students my SOP’s , do some introductions then inform my students that what they learn in this class will make them better at what they do, put them in demand and make them money in the field. Then I use a story or two to show them how I used these exact skills to further my own career and make a pretty good living. Students can get to a point in school where they lose their focus and just want to get school over with (This is true of ANY school: 1 year, 2 year or a PhD program). Reminding them that they are here to start a career that they were very recently exited about can help with the motivation as well as their comfort level.

Hi John,
Good way to start the class. Their future starts the first day of class. It is up to them to catch the vision of how they can be successful. Your stories and examples help them to catch that vision.
Gary

It is good to create a sense of belonging to a group. The feeling of a learning community sends
a message that the learning of each person can
be valuable to each other person. Teachers also learn from teaching and the sense of a mission shared by all should be a great boost to morale.

Sign In to comment