Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What is your best classroom practice to spark learning

I find video's really spark the class because it captures their interest and is generally unexpected. What are some of the things you find spark learning in your class?

Peter,
Case studies, examples from the field, former students as guest speakers, team games and one minute papers are some of the activities I use to get them ramped up and engaged. They get very excited when they know I am going to move them into any one of these areas.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Harold Haynes:
Since I am clinical instructor, I use a combination of methods to spark learning.
After choosing a particular skill, e.g. "Obtaining a throat culture,"I explain the reason a physician will order this procedure. I then explain the importance of obtaining and isolating the bacteria responsible, so that antibiotic treatment may be started immediately. I let students discus their experiences so that they become involved in the process.I ask questions and I perform demonstrations.

HAROLD,
You are doing a good job of making the connection between course content and field application. The more this can be done the more relevancy the students are going to see in what you are teaching them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach physics and the use of videos has always helped spark enthusiasm and contributed to learning in my classes. Lots of money and creativity have gone into making these videos such as ones on the "Nova" series on PBS. Phenomena that are impossible to demonstrate in a classroom setting can be observed in videos. Programs like "Mythbusters" are great in debunking or proving the validity of "pop culture" claims. Of course, when possible, live demos in the classroom ALWAYS contribute to learning and break the monotony of the "lecture" method.

Albert,
I believe in using all of the resources you can find. You are reaching out to secure what ever will work in your setting and these videos are an essential part of that. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach College Math to students who are seeking careers in nursing, vet technician or surgeon technician. A lot of people assume the concepts they learn in their math classes they will never need again. Although, my background isn't health I've found the students are impressed and more intrigued when I can suggest a real life situation they may come across in their field using mathematics. It helps set the tone for my courses :-)

Katrina

Katrina,
Good strategy for you to incorporate diverse applications of math into the lives of all your students. You are right on about the fact that many of them only see math as a subject to pass rather than a knowledge area that they will use for the rest of their lives.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Absolutely. Giving real world examples of course content is an excellent way to spark interest. Especially if you can come up with some that the students have never realized before. It can help get a lot of new interest in the topic and it can also create some great discussions.

Sean,
Students really like it when their instructors share their stories and examples from the field. These stories and examples help to make the course content come alive and give them an understanding how the content will be applied when they are out working.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like the variety. Could you explain one minute papers?

Tanya,
One minute papers are fun and the students really like doing them. You give the students a topic and then have them explain it, review it, answer questions about it, whatever you want as a response. You then give them 60 seconds to write down their response. It is a short exercise that gets all the students involved. Sometimes I have them "tweet" a response to me. I use 3X5 cards and they have to in 140 characters express a thought or answer a question. Both exercises gets them to thinking in clear and concise terms.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment