Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Syllabus

Give a detailed syllabus on the first day, first hour. Discuss the components of the syllabus, like objectives, assaignments, grading criteria, late assaignments and house keeping rules etc; Moreover,a little bit about the Instrctor and his/her contact preferences. And collect a signed acknoweldgement form from the students for documentation

These are important items to review with the students and they prepare the student for what to expect during the course and how best to set their goals and objectives for completing the course with the grade they may be hoping to achieve.

The syllabus provide the students with the proper road map needed to guide them through the intricate course and course work. It also keeps them on track with the day-today or week-to week aspects of the course requirements and act as a reference point.

I have found that when we discuss the content of the syllabus the first meeting, at orientation, the students are more aware of what is required to successful complete the course with passing grades.

Robin,
Right you are about the value of covering the contents of the syllabus. It sets the tone for the class and the students can see what the expectations are while getting settled into the course.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

The syllabus was my road map the entire time I was in college. It gave me insight as to what was expected from me as a student. It guided me throughout the course. Technically , a well written and detailed syllabus is self explanatory, although there might be some topics on the sylabus that some students may need clarification on as far as research papers, exams, learning activities, and group projects, and the weight each of these topics will carry in the grading scheme.

Mary,
I agree and this is why it is so important to have a well prepared syllabus. It is the key communication tool for sharing expectations, requirements and policies under which students will operate for the duration of the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment