Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivation

How do you keep students motivated?

I keep my students motivated by constantly presenting engaging material and making the material relevant to their lives. When my students find the material relevant, I've noticed their motivation soars! In any situation, I think people are more involved and motivated when they've identified a personal gain in a topic.

Hi Camille,
There are a number of ways that you can get them engaged and focused on the course. Use case studies and role playing to show students relevance to what they are being asked to learn. Give them a chance to apply their new knowledge in different settings so they will see how they are moving forward toward their careers. Also, give a lot of reinforcement to the students as they complete assignments so they will know they have your support in efforts.
Gary

Hi Natalie,
Your comments are right on target. Motivation does soar when students see application. The more instructors can help connect the dots between the classroom and their future the more they will be engaged in the learning process.
Gary

Even if the material is not directly applicable to the career that your students are training for (e.g. material in a gen ed class), you can still connect it to students' more general interests or background knowledge.
It also helps to show them that you are invested in their success and excited about the material. Some students get motivated by a desire to make you proud of their achievements. I make it a point to commend my students when I see that they are putting extra effort into a course, even if they are still struggling academically.

I try to find out where hte students are in there lives, and find relevance to the subject matter. I once taught a keyboarding class, and students were bored with typing from the text that was just letters, and symbols, so I told them to bring in there favorite music lyrics and they loved it. It got them motivated to type!

I have noticed, in my teaching teaching career that a students' performance is directly proportional to the teachers' expectation.If an instructors' standard or expectation is set high for a student the student usually performs to meet that expectation. I like to make sure that the content of the material is always precise and relevant since that gives the student direction. I like to give projects or conduct Socratic seminars based on topics that are broad and where there is not always a right or wrong answer giving students a chance to express their opinions. I extract the strong points from the seminar or project and emphasize on those points. Students get motivated when they are given a chance to conduct or express their opinions and if their work is appreciated.

I have discovered the same thing. I try to directly relate the topic I am teaching to every day use or where they can apply that information in their career. When they see the uses for it, they are engaged and enthusiast.

I agree, if the course is presentated with the right realistic content and syllabus, student's relate to it better.

I find that the best way to keep them motivated is to be motivated yourself. When the students see that I love what I do, love the profession I am in and teaching them, they become so motivated and excited about school and begin to look forward to starting their own careers. ~Shonna

Very true. I agree! I like to show a video on a particular topic or skill that is real world and current. Then, I will have them imagine as if they where actually in that situation and how would they respond in a variety of ways.

I find that you keep students motivated by your example you set for class. If your inspired and are show that you enjoy what you teach, your students will become inspired. I think reaching them at their level and finding out what motivates them lets them know that you care. Taking the time to make sure the class understands and offering extra assistance also keeps the students motivated.

Camille,
So true. Excitement and enthusiasm build a strong case for student engagement. The more of these two items you bring to the class along with solid content the greater the learning.
Gary

This is a great question Camille. I think motivating struggling students can be both a rewarding and struggling task.
Here are some strategies:

• Instructors need to be accessible so that a struggling student can feel comfortable approaching them. It is important that instructors have regular office hours and generally reach out to students in a welcoming way, so that students are encouraged to come forward.

• If a student misses work, or turns in sub-standard work, the first step is for an instructor to try to understand what is happening by reaching out to the student. Is the student having difficulty with the pace of the course? Or is the student struggling with the content of the material or even the method of delivery? Is there a time management or personal issue?

• If you notice that a student is struggling the first thing to do is to e-mail students privately. Focus on skills not grades. A friendly, encouraging and non-threatening e-mail can be sent to the student reminding him or her that s/he is your first priority and that you are happy to help.

You keep students motivated by making the learning experience fun. You need to appeal to all learning styles in the classroom as best you can. Constantly challenging them and using positive re-inforcements are some other things that work well.

DeShaun,
Good advice for all instructors. Students like variety that appeals to their learning preferences and these strategies will do just that.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Another thing I like to incorporate in my classes are stories from my real-world experience in emergency & critical care. Sometimes we talk about what was done correctly, or we brainstorm ways we could have effected a better outcome. It makes the material much more interesting and relevant.

Motivating your students keeps them more engage in the subject.

I instruct computer information systems however my campus is primarly directed towards the medical field and students must complete 2 computer courses. I would like ideas to motivate the medical students to take intrest in my course since most of them feel computers will not be used in their field.

Billie Jo,
Can you create case studies and/or problems situations where they use computers to solve the presented problem? Also, look for ways you can give specific examples of how they, the medical students will use computers to successfully resolve record keeping, charting or any other computer operation that they might encounter when they are in the field.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment