Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

how can i better

how can i make the first time more productive and less traumatic

Hi Victor,
Have some very good ice breakers to help the students get settled into the class. Also, if you can have some activities that will let the students experience some of the future course content in way that helps them to see the how the content will apply to their career development.
Gary

Hi Victor. Make sure that there is no difficult work expected the first day of the class. Students need to become familiar with the classroom, their fellow students and the instructor. When they are more at ease with their environment it will be easier for them to participate and be productive,

Do you have any recommendations for the first day of class?

Hi Kirk,
I like to open with introductions so the students get a chance to tell something about themselves and learn a bit about my experiences. Then I do some ice breakers to get the students talking and interacting with each other. These ice breakers are fun and enables all students to participate. Then I go over the key elements of the syllabus, such as course expectations, requirements, and polices. Depending on the length of the course, generally mine run for 3 hours, I do an activity or so that has the students using the basic elements of the course so they can achieve success from the very beginning. If time permits I then start in with the course content through lecture and lab. Makes for a fast paced first day that sets the stage for how the course is going to operate.
Gary

I am teaching a 5 hour course and your ideas and suggestions will be helpful. Do you give a break during your 3 hour course? What would you suggest for breaks for a 5 hour course?

Hi Amy,
The students need breaks. There are several ways I do it. If the class is five hours long like your course I give a break after about an hour to hour and half depending what we are doing at the time. Meaning I always give my students breaks but I control when because if I set a specific time and we are in the middle of a discussion or activity they shut down since it is break time. I tell them we will take a break around 10:00 (which can be 9:45, 10:00, 10:15). My point is I want to keep the flow of the class going if we are in the middle of something. This break is a shorter one, say 10-15 minutes.
I give a longer break at the mid-point of around 20-30 minutes. For sure 30 minutes if the class runs through mealtime. Then another shorter break during the last third of the class.
I also, change class flow every 20-25 minutes. The variety helps to keep students engaged and focused. By change of flow I may lecture for 20 minutes, then have a 15 minutes discussion time, then break them into groups and do a case study, then back to lecture, etc.
Hope these suggestions are helpful to you as you get settled into the your class and comfortable with your students.
Gary

Talk about something that is valuable, important, and significant for the students.

Sign In to comment