Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Planning

Planning ahead of class time is so important. I need to be a good model for the students and being on time is critical not just in class but on the job as well.

I am new instructor. How much time should one use to prepare for class 2 hours per hour taught?

Hi Carolyn,
This will depend on what you are doing for each class session. Some days you will covering areas in which you feel very comfortable so the prep time may be 30 minutes so you can get the media ready and handouts prepared. Other times you may spend 2-3 hours getting a new lecture or activity put together. I spend at least 30 minutes before each class reviewing what I am going to do, no matter how many times I have presented that information before. During this time I look at the notes I have made about how the session went the last time I taught it so I am prepared for any issues that might come up this time.
Gary

I find it easier to prepare for class by reading the outline in advance a couple of times and by doing research on the materials I am using. Every new class I teach I try and find more material and information that will keep the students engaged and for them to be able to discuss the topics. This works in my favor as well because I am not using the same research for each class and I am learning more too!

Sign In to comment