Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Planning the first week of class

I have found it very useful and exciting for the students to see a lot of visuals the first week. I give handouts of 8x10 pictures for my visual learners, 3 dimensional objects for my tactile learners and Cd's for my auditory learners. I cover all 3 each day. I plan my class 2 weeks in advance, and yes, I always seem to add something new to one or more of the planned weeks. I realized that I can plan ahead, but leave a block of time for something to be added in. As in library time for essay's or continuing online education for the students.

Hi Melody,
You are doing a great job of appealing to the four learning styles areas in your planning. By offering instruction in all of the areas you are giving the students a chance to "find" their learning strengths. As you know this is very important for adult/non-traditional learners. Early success helps to retain the students and you are helping them to achieve early success.
Gary

I believe the first week of the classes is important. As being a Systems Engineering instructor I take my time to show my students what they will be able to do with the computers once we are done. It helps motivation and enthusiasm. So far it has always worked.

Hi Omer,
Good job with showing your students the end result of all their hard work the very first day. This way they can capture a vision for the course and get exc ited about the instruction that is coming.
Gary

I think what you're doing not only addresses the students learning method but it assists in the students confidence in you as a teacher because they are able to observe your awareness and concern for them as individuals.
I was wondering what you do to set the "tone" in class?
For example I had some teachers who piled on homework the very first day and thats how they set the "tone". Others started slow and then added on. I would like to find a balance where I communicate right away a healthy expectation of the students but not overwhelm them.

Hi Stewart,
Tone is one of those words that is really hard to define within a classroom context. I believe the tone that needs to be set is of respect and expectation. Respect between instructor and students and expectations between the same two. This will help to engage the students in the learning process and help to create rapport. The work and the course requirements can be covered indepth but only after the tone of the classroom has been set. What you are trying to create is a setting where the students know they are going to receive quality instruction from a professional that cares about their success. I think in using the example you mentioned where a tone is set by loading on the homework the first day that teacher is going to have a very hard time managing that class. Breaking the back of the animal carrying the heavy load does not make that animal want to work any harder, the same is true for students. As the students start to see the need for additional information and skill development then the homework can be added on without "killing" the spirit of the students.
Gary

Thank you for providing me with a few excellent ideas for my class.

Hi Maria,
Thank you for those kind words. Glad to help. Let me know how these ideas work for you in your classes.
Gary

In planning the first week of class, I review the materials necessary for the students to learn. I rehearse my presentations, even though I have done the first week many times, the rehearsal is imperative. I always find new ways of delivering the teaching matter. I arrive early and have everything in it's place.

Sign In to comment