Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Class Preparation(Syllabus, outlines, goals, etc)

I have worked with various schools. Some have all the curriculum, and materials, schedules, lab material all prepared for a the courses and centers that deliver them. In others, nothing is done, and complete lattitude is given to the instructor to prepare his/her class/course the way the see fit. Personally, having been various postions between both extremes, I prefer to have it all laid out. This way I can focus on delivery, and elaboration if required. Having said this, if the logistics and/or materials are not what I consider quality, it's good to be able to make ajustments, in order to have the right balance of quality, logistics, and still have time to teach.

Andrés

Hi Andres,
Very well said. The instructor needs to be able to focus on the students and their needs. If this is done then the course will proceed smoothly and the students will acquire the skills and competencies that they need for career success.
Gary

IN PREPERATION FOR THE NEW CLASS WE PREPARE SYLLABUS FOR THE NEW STUDENTS ALONG WITH A SHORT QUESTIONAIRE ABOU WHY THEY CHOSE THIS COURSE. WE GO OVER THE SYLLABUS AND EXPLAIN ALL THE ASPPECTS OF HOW WE GRADE THEM AND HOW WE COME UP WITH THE FINAL GRADE POINT AVERAGE. WHEN THE STUDENTS ARE AWARE OF THE SYBJECTS THEY WILL STUDY THEY ARE ABLE TO GO THROUGH THEIR BOOKS AND LOOK AT THE DIFFIRENT AREAS THEY WILL BE COVERING. THIS GIVE THE INSTRUCTOR A CHANCE TO ANSWER QUESTION ABOUT THE CLASS AND GIVESAS TO WHAT THEY EXPECT TO GET OUT OF THE CLASS. THE INSTRUCTOR A CHANCE TO QUESTION THE NEW STUDENTS

I like to have everything done from the school. That way all the teachers are on the same page. I add to it but I never take anything out. I do incorporate my own things like professionalism and medical charting grades. I also take the school tests myself to make sure there are no mistakes. And i highlight the answers in my textbook so I know what to elaberate on during lecture. I am always reading different textbooks to get a deeper understanding of what I am teaching. Sometimes I find better diagrams or easier text I can use during lecture or for handouts.

Hi Melissa,
You are doing a great job of getting yourself ready for the classes you teach and I know that this preparation reflects in your delivery. You can approach the classroom with confidence knowing you are prepared and ready to respond to your students.
Gary

I have taught both types of classes as well and I have to agree that I prefer the pre-developed class. I spent double the time in preperation for the other class and there were too many details to be worked out. I wasn't able to spend as much time actually teaching as I like to.

Becky

Sign In to comment