Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Selecting Supplemental Materials

I find that the inclusion of "handouts" in class actually benefits the student. I use them as a source of quick reference, a more consice available source of information. And also as a summary of material covered.

Hi Timothy,
Good use of handouts. You are sending a signal to your students that “I”(the instructor) feel that this information is important since I have prepared a concise informative handout for you, the student to use in this class.
Also, you are telling them you care enough about their learning to prepare the handouts, which is beyond their textbooks and other materials you share with them. All of these efforts help the students to see that you care and that they are getting quality instruction through a variety of ways.
Gary

I use handouts and worksheets all of the time. I teach Business English,and I have to give supplemental worksheets in order for them to retain the concepts. The extra practice makes a big difference. I also use handouts if I'm teaching a particularly complex concept. I will give them the basics on a handout and allow them to expand on it while I lecture. It works well.

Hi Kim,
I like your use of handouts. I have found that they provide an essential addition to the course text. A teacher can have a set of handouts that can be used throughout the course, these handouts can be used to supplement the text or add additional information not covered in the text.
Another strength of handouts is they can be developed as the course is being taught, thus enabling you the instructor to be responsive to the needs of your students at that point in time. This is what I call “value added” teaching. Not only are the students getting the benefit of your expertise but they are getting supplemental materials on an as needed basis. If the handout is effective it can be used again, if not it can be discarded. That way you can make sure your course content is always relevant.
Gary

I also find handouts almost indispensable! Many of mine are pictures from additional texts the anatomy student does not have access to. These supplement their texts or add information their text does not supply.

Hi Susan,
You are providing an added value service for your students. They are getting materials not available in their texts. Another strong point for what you are doing is that you are showing your students that you care about them by researching where additional materials are and then securing them for their use. This sends a real message of caring for the well being of your students.
Gary

Handouts are absolutely great for the students.They are a back up of the theory and techniques that we teach, and they are wonderful for the students to have as a reference for later. Plus it helps the students to know what is out in the world in their profession and what is being said about their career.

The class I am currently instructing is Medical Filing. It is imperative that I find extra material and deliver handouts, one such handout was the history of the filing cabinet. The students were very interested in the scope of change that has occured since the first filing closet. This class is expanded by the use of resource material. What would be invaluable to the class would be a video to demonstrate such confusing filing methods as terminal digit or middle digit,ane especially color coding, does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you.

Hi Shirley,
Something I have done in the past is to let the students "role play" the different approaches to filing, etc. We created an actors group within the class and let them perform while taping. I got my video and the students had fun role playing and learning about the different kinds of filing.
Gary

Hello,

I too am a firm believer in providing students with supplemental materials. I share material I acquired during my studies. The students love it! It is informative and an asset to me. My lectures are riveting, that is because I know the materials so well, my lectures go smoothly, and the students become more involved. There is a wealth of infomation on the internet, and I tap into this resource as well. This information the students can keep for future reference.

Hi Irene,
Good comments about using supplemental materials. I have found as well that students like them and they feel these materials are current and reflect the field they are studying.
What are some methods you use to select supplemental materials for your classes?
Gary

We have Industry partners that assist us in providing the most current technical updates as they occur. What better way to provide supplemental material than to get it directly for the industry that we are training our students for. This sitaution may not apply to all career choices but it does help knowing that support is there and any confilcts regarding copyright infringement is avoided by having the release form giving us the green light.

I never use handouts. Instead, I provide students with URL addresses to multimedia presentations that I've put together. They can watch them whenever they like.

Ed

Hi Ed,
Good idea of how to share content with students at their convenience.
Gary

Good point. I also like to send student to online library databases like EBSCO or ProQuest. It is important for students to be part of the supplemental materials search and find process.

I like handout too. I give these as both in-class and take-home assignments. Handouts usually cover more information than I can cover in class.

Thrilled to see the use of the "mini-textbook" included in this course. For a while I thought I was just be obsessive by compiling further research or other authors' point of view for materials related to pre-planned curriculums provided by a school. Then having to teeter the line of finding ways to evaluate whether or not students grasped information in the materials without crossing company policies when it comes to "Only testing students on materials from approved curriculum sources". Many times my students would beg to have the points or grade from a supplemental material count for test grades. Because many times the supplemental materials we can find as instructors can be tailored to helping students understand larger concepts on their diverse learning levels.

Faith,
I think the use of "mini-textbooks" or supplemental packets are valuable to keeping the course content current. Textbooks give the basics and are used for several years so they can quickly get behind current information even though their content is quite good. You are doing a great service to and for your students with your mini-textbooks so keep up the good work.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment