Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Environment

What role do you believe the learning environment plays in the instructional process?

The learning environment is key to the instructional process. Adult learners need to have an environment which allow for learing in a controlled yet caring environment. Many of the adult learners, that are in our classes today, need to have a learning environment in which the instructor keeps control at all times. This includes but is not limited to: allowing for interruptions of fellow classmates, keeping discussions on track and related to the subject matter, yet allowing all students equal time for an exchange of ideas. The instructor must manage the environment in the classroom if the objective of the class is to be reached.

Many instructors don't really understand how important the learning environment really is to their students'success. They just assume that the class will unfold by itself and everything will be fine. Keeping in mind that many of our students are returning to school for the first time in many years and are very nervous about their chances for success. In addition, with the time delay from when they were last in school and the present their academic skills may have become rusty so they are very concerned about such items as notetaking, test taking, and report writing.
A friendly supportive learning environment just as you have outlined will do much to relieve many of those concerns. The environment is not only physical but mental as well. Instructors have to work hard so the students will "feel" comfortable in the classroom and "feel" that they have many options available for course success.
Classroom management is a must for instructors as you have mentioned and there are many different ways that they can maintain control. The simple fact is that if the instructor doesn't maintain control the students will. We all know that it is a hole lot easier to be the one in control, but I cannot tell you how many times I have seen the students running the class to the frustration of everyone. These types of classes require some quick interventions to regain control or those types of instructors are going to be gone very shortly. In most cases this is sad because they have experiences and content that needs to be shared they just can't manage the learning environment.

The physical environment plays an important role. However it is my contention that the instructor is key in setting the climate and that is most important.

Give me a great instructor in not the best physical environment and we can still have great success. I do not believe the converse is true.

Obviously we want the best of all worlds!

Les
I believe that your contention about the physical environment is absolute true. A quality instructor can rise above most any situation if they are prepared and dedicated to providing quality learning opportunities.
The finest environment staffed by an unqualified instructor will only be a fine environment, not a focal point for learning.
The key issue of the physical environment is for you as the instructor to see the environment through the eyes of the students so you can see how you might improve the physical setting so it is not a distraction. This might mean a coat of paint, clearing clutter up or rearranging the lab stations. These simple things can keep the physical environment in a secondary setting rather than letting it become a source of student complaints. I have taught in some real difficult physical settings, but by helping the students to make the learning site their own and doing some basic maintenance I was able to have very successful classes. It as you said quality instructors with quality attitudes make the difference.
Gary

The instructor is, in fact, the key to retaining our students which means that they, in their person, are able to provide a secure, comfortable and trusting learning environment. It's great to have the best looking classroom with state-of-the-art equipment. It's works well for the admissions process, the tour the applicant takes. But all the student really wants is to know that they are being given the freedom to learn in a non-threatening atmosphere. We train our instructors on the Friendly, Firm and Fair theory. We simply refer to it as the three F's. This can and probably should be modified to include 'Consistent'. These traits not only help guarantee success for the student but for the instructor as well.

Thank you for your response. You have a real feel for what is needed in relation to retaining students, the instructor. Sometimes the importance of the key service provider, the instructor is forgotten in the total college process. The students will be well rewarded for their learning efforts if they know they have a three F's instructor that is consistent as well. The idea of success for both the instructor and student is one that will enable the students to learn and the instructor to grow in both ability and understanding.

The learning environment, I believe , not only helps the students fell comfortable , but also will help the instructor teach. Little distractions such as a flickering light bulb or noises can distract in such a way that both student and instructor suffer.

Joseph,
Yes, the learning environment is critical to instructional success. I know many instructors that have not stepped back and looked at their classroom or laboratory for many years. They have let the paint peel, materials pile up, and bulletin boards deteriorate over a period of time and they never notice. Granted the physical setting of the classroom/laboratory in not all of teaching but it is a major part. The students need to feel comfortable as you say. In addition, the instructor must set the level of comfort within the class. Rapport with students does much to make learning progress. The students need to respect what the instructor is offering to them. The instructor cares about their learning success and has the experience necessary to assist them in becoming well trained professionals. This is a big challenge, but one that must be met if the learning environment is going to be a positive one.
Gary

It plays the most vital role and has to be adjusted to meet the course content and delivery methods, i.e., Software instruction in a software lab preferably with a digital projector to have students readily see and apply the lessons, machine instruction with ample machines that are an accurate reflection of what is currently being utilized in the field.

Hi Dale,
You are correct. Your students are enrolled in your course to be trained in the latest most competitive skill/knowledge areas to enable them to be successful upon completion. For them not to have an instructor with field based knowledge nor equipment that is not up to standard would not be ethical nor fair.
In our industry we know we must reflect the fields we represent. We must remain current in terms of both content as well as delivery. The problem sometimes is how to best “package” the content in a delivery way that is interesting and appropriate for students. It seems that just as we get a content unit develop where it really “teaches” well for us the content changes and we have to start development of delivery all over again. This is both a challenge and an opportunity. This way we can remain fresh in our teaching.
Gary

Environment...when the customer asks: "Can I have you come here so my people don't have to be away from the office all day?" you know you're in trouble...The setting is so important that a poor one may negate much of what you attempt to accomplish.

I mentioned in the reply to the previous forum that I had experienced several failed courses for the very reason that the environment was not receptive to learning. I spent about ten years teaching clients to use various CAD/CAM systems and nearly every one wanted on-site training. Of course, this can be a cost savings to the customer. But, whenever control of the class setting is taken away from the "school" and forces the instructor to make do with the facilities at hand it becomes a huge challenge. Control of interruptions to class presentations end up being the largest concern.

Adult students present challenges different from high school or even traditional college students. As adults, we have all established patterns and routines that are sometimes not suitable for the classroom. For example, a recent student walked in the door for the first day of class (not early either) and proceeded to drag the trashcan to his side. His plan was to use it for a spit can. I made it clear that to him that since he would not be here to empty the container that this was not going to be permitted. I also explained the ANY spit container was prohibited from my classroom.

The relief on the faces of the students on either side of him made it clear that I was not the only person concerned about the situation.

Hi Al,
Both examples that you listed illustrate some of the challenges we instructors face. The one about teaching on a company site reinforces that many times we are at a disadvantage in the instructional setting even before we start. We have to gain some form of “high ground” in order to be in control of the classroom environment.
By taking control of the student behavior issue you established yourself as being in charge. As you well know had you not, then other issues of behavior would have taken over and before many class sessions had passed the students would have been in total control, resulting in frustration on the part of everyone.
You have many great experiences from which to pull that enable you enrich your professional ability as an educator.
Gary

Learning environment plays a vital role in the instructional process for both are very much interdependent. Good environment, whether physical or psychological, promotes constructive instructional process. A cruicial part of successful instructor is to work on learning environment in order to enhance a positive outcome.

The learning environment takes much thought and preparation. For instance, when sharing classrooms, it is important that things be left tidy for the next class to feel welcome and appreciated. It is vital that the student enters the learning environment with an elevated attitude, ready to focus on the days lesson.

Hi Stephen,
You are really focused on establishing the key components of a positive learning environment, that being thought and preparation. In your thought process I hope that you are visioning what your students will be seeing when they enter your classroom. Try and get into their mind set and you will be surprised how clear the picture of the learning environment becomes to you. You then can make any of the necessary changes, such as seating arrangements, etc. that you feel are needed.
In addition, you point about being ready for the day's lesson is a good one. Isn't it amazing how people will focus on a little environmental thing until it becomes a major barrier to their learning? By removing these issues learning can once again be the primary reason for their being there.
Gary

Amer,
In establishing a positive learning environment you must see it through the eyes of your students. Also, you must think of yourself as being a part of the learning environment and factor how you will influence your students through your delivery, competence, and behavior while instructing. All these components contribute to building a positive learning environment.
Gary

I believe that the environment has a major role in education. Distractions of any kind will impede the performance of the students as well as the instructor. A well - prepared class area will greatly improve the results of the students by helping them to focus on the lesson.

Hi Thomas,
When approaching the educational environment you need to place yourself in the role of the student and see the setting from their point of view. You are right that any kind of distraction can impede learning. The problem is that we often overlook the distractions that students notice. Then the little become big issues.
A quick walk through prior to class is always a good idea to get a feel for the setting that day, even though you may have taught in that classroom or lab for many years. In addition this walk through allows you to straighten any displays, books, etc. that have gotten out of order and to “police” the area by picking up any stray pieces of paper that may have been discarded. The idea is to set a clean and receptive environment for the students.
You are right in your thinking about a well prepared class and a receptive learning environment will do much to get the students ready to learn.
Gary

I teach a polishing class, The environment is a big part of the coares. Because this trade take people with the ablity to not look around at what is going on and pay attension to there job. To alot of people it is not involed or fast enouph. There are also alot of noise's in most shops. People have a hard time thinking with this going on.So I teach right in the middle of it. And I have had people not stay with it not because of the work but the noise of the trade.It takes the best of most people because the tool we use sounds like a dentis office or some one runnig there fingers down a black boared.So to answer that question I say very.

Sign In to comment