Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructional Style

When developing an instructional style that works, I find it is not only important to know your topic, relay it well, but each classroom may require that you manage and motivate classes somewhat differently depending on how best to get students to where they need to be. Any help or suggestions in this area?

Samantha Eaddy

Samantha,
The key is to "read" each class and then select from your instructional "tool box" the strategies and methods that best fit that group of students. As we know each class is different so being able to adapt delivery to meet their needs is critical. You have a good understanding of how this should be done so keep on the path that you are taking and seek ways to expand your knowledge and expertise on an ongoing basis.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I tend to be sure to incorporate past information into the current lecture using other information to link it all together.

I have found that each class or group of students has a very different makeup. They also seem to grasp subjects at different rates.
I would call my teaching style "Facilitator". I never want to be Charlie Brown's teacher or "The sage on the stage". In those styles it is all about the instructor, not the students. As a facilitator I will start a discussion on a topic and let the students bring it in different directions and let everyone give there input. I will fill in missing pieces when necessary. Usually though the class will wind up getting 90% of the information out. I find the students can learn a lot from each other and it tends to make them more comfortable with each other.

Sign In to comment