Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New Instructor

This is my first time to teach, been in the field for 15 years. Teaching a group is really different but after reading the topics and participating in this forum enhances my knowledge on how to be very comfortable, confident and be profesional at all times. Any more suggestions on how to be a good talker in front of my class because I am so nervous even I am knowledgeable in the field that I will be teaching.

Antonette,
Start your new class off with introductions and a ice breaker where the students do an activity or place some type of group game. During this time you will find that a lot of your nerves will go away because you will be interacting with the students and sharing a laugh or two. Nerves will be there for your first lecture no matter how confident you feel because I still get nervous after teaching many years. That is ok, just remember you have 15 years of experience and you are telling a story to the students. That story is the content you want to share with them and so as the story teller you are in control of how the message is sent. Before long you will be very comfortable with your students and your delivery style. I wish much teaching success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Dear Mr. Gary Meers,
I am an instructor in a dental hygiene clinic. I work with the second year students one day a week. I find it difficult to learn the names of the 28 students. I work with 5 students each week and rotate to a different set of 5 students the next week. I have tried several methods of name recognition. I am not sure if the students mind that I do not address them by name.
Any ideas to facilitate my professionalism in this area is appreciated.
Stacey

Stacey,
You do have a unique situation with so many students in such as short turn around time. If you are working with 5 students for a week at a time I would concentrate on those five and get their names down as quick as possible. Then do the same for the next five etc.. The key is to learn something about each student that sets him or her apart and then hang onto that as you learn their names. So instead of trying to learn 28 learn 5 and then 5 more. This will get the task down to a workable size and your students will appreciate your effort to make a connection with them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Antonette, I just began teaching this year, although I have been doing hair for 7 years. I feel like I know so much, but I am not always sure how to make it into a lesson. I suppose its a learning experience for new instructors as well.

Asking students questions takes some pressure off. Having a demo to show helps. Building on a topic by adding to the powerpoint subject by drawing and bringing up diagnostic methods you have used works.

Gary,
This is how scaffolding works in learning. You have the steps laid out in a way that enables the students to move through each segment of the course while understanding what is being covered.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment