Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What to do?

I understand and am delighted with my student's desire to get to the "meat and potatoes" of the course, but what is the best way to engage them on the classes that are not as exciting to them, such as English or Math?

Gayle,
Use examples of math and English that are directly tied to their field. The more uses of both they can to see and use the more value they will attach to learning Math and English.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sometimes, I have found, students need to discover on their own that the content specific to their career choice needs to be "supported" by general knowlege. It is great when students are really enthusiastic and want to jump into mastering the skills they identify as being essential to their career path, but sometimes it is necessary to point out the them, after they have attempted to solve a case or problem, that the outcome would have been more effective if the student had better mastery over more fundamental skills, ex. math, spelling, writing, etc.

Paula,
I like the way you are drawing your students back to the fundamentals of the field. They do have to have a solid foundation if they are going to be recognized for their abilities and expertise. Critical thinking and problem solving is needed in a career but basic communication and academic skills are as well.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment