Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

asking a question to a student who is not engage in the lecture.

I used to ask questions to my students when they started engaging in activity that is not related to the lecture.

I got their attention but they felt uncomfortable for being placed under the spot light.

I felt justified for directing their attention to the lecture in this manner. But also with some students I got the sense of resentment and less cooperation to participate. But now after reading teaching insights I realize that this was not the best approach in addressing my dismay with their behavior. From now on I will adapt to a different approach to direct their focus back to the lecture. They will be asked the question but after I make an effort to get them back on track.

Also, addressing the bad behavior does not always work for a spoiled brat. 

I use a "Muddiest Point" envelope where a large envelope is passed around at the end of a segment and students anonymously write questions or topics that need clarification.  We then review and/or answer questions proposed.  It seems to help cover those students that are apprehensive about speaking out in class.

I teach mainly foreign students with varying degrees of English comprehension.  Due to their reservations about speaking English, some students will not speak unless prompted.  To ease them back into the class and to get them involved, I often will place my hand on their shoulder and ask them how they do something in their country.  Yes, it is putting them on the spot, but it is about a topic they know and the response is generally positive and it tends to get them involved with the lesson.

Reply to Kimberly RIchardson's post: I like it!!!!

Sign In to comment