Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Art of Caring

Within the teaching realm, the art of caring needs to be present. When an individual believes and feels the instructor cares for them they can feel motivated to learn.

Knowing your students names is important and basic and I am always available outside of school hours fopr providing support

AS a clinical instructor I feel it is very important that each of your students feels that you care for them.By calling a student by name, asking if you can help or explain a certain procedure shows support and care.

Hi James,
This is so important as you say. It also teaches them that they need to treat the people they will be in contact with when they are out in their career areas this same way. So two purposes will be served by showing them the importance of knowing and using names.
Gary

As an instructor, each student needs to be motivated differently. Its should be set for just that student.

I'm in my first year of teaching, and have found that simple things like engaging students in conversations about the subject before and after class or even in the halls shows them that you're interested in their progress

Hi Franklin,
It is always amazing that the little things like a short conversation really makes a difference in the development of rapport with students. This is the human side of being an educator that is critical.
Gary

i have been teaching for over 10 years now i still think that the hardest part of our job is caring for the students yet at the same time uphodling the standards and not leeting them spill out all their sad stories and excused. the difference between caring and enabling is a fine line that they try to make us cross on a daily basis.
It is what took me the most time to master as an instructor, letting them know that there is no excuses for slacking.

Hi Herve,
Thank you for your comments about how to walk the fine line of being a professional educator while being understanding of the needs of the students. This is good information for instructors to know.
Gary

Sign In to comment